1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would an Ibanez SRMS805 Fanned Fret Bass Change My Life?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christcr, May 29, 2018.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Yeah, but still........

2. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Also, in the pictures I've seen (haven't seen one in person) it looks like the B string bridge is slightly off the edge of the body. Is this an optical illusion?

3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    :laugh:

The low-B bridge goes through the rounded edge of the body. But, it's still inside the body line, since the individual bridges were installed countersunk.

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I can see where you both are coming from, to a point. My take is that they are only adding a half inch to the scale of a lot of other mass-produced 5-string basses (inch and a half for their own) versus a company like Dingwall who makes the G-string 34", and the B-string 37". That's more in-line with the whole multi-scale/fanned-fret concept which was inspired by grand pianos. I didn't do my due diligence on that, or else I wouldn't have purchased it in the first place. If I'm going to jump into the MS camp, I want there to be a noticeable difference. I did not get that with this bass.

This particular bass didn't work for me, but that doesn't mean it won't work, or be preferable, for others. I bought one, thinking I was getting something very comparable to a Dingwall, for a lower price. That's not what this is, and I want to make that clear to anyone considering it. It's not a bad bass at all, just not my cup of tea.