1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would an Ibanez SRMS805 Fanned Fret Bass Change My Life?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christcr, May 29, 2018.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Yeah, but still........

2. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Also, in the pictures I've seen (haven't seen one in person) it looks like the B string bridge is slightly off the edge of the body. Is this an optical illusion?

3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    :laugh:

The low-B bridge goes through the rounded edge of the body. But, it's still inside the body line, since the individual bridges were installed countersunk.

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I can see where you both are coming from, to a point. My take is that they are only adding a half inch to the scale of a lot of other mass-produced 5-string basses (inch and a half for their own) versus a company like Dingwall who makes the G-string 34", and the B-string 37". That's more in-line with the whole multi-scale/fanned-fret concept which was inspired by grand pianos. I didn't do my due diligence on that, or else I wouldn't have purchased it in the first place. If I'm going to jump into the MS camp, I want there to be a noticeable difference. I did not get that with this bass.

This particular bass didn't work for me, but that doesn't mean it won't work, or be preferable, for others. I bought one, thinking I was getting something very comparable to a Dingwall, for a lower price. That's not what this is, and I want to make that clear to anyone considering it. It's not a bad bass at all, just not my cup of tea.

5. AstralBirth

AstralBirth Supporting Member

Good news for me, I’ll be getting my multiscale (SRFF) tomorrow and was wondering what thpe of strings has everyone been using on their own multiscales? I.E. stainless steels, nickels, groundwounds etc.

6. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Mine came with D'Addario XL Nickels, but I've changed them to Elixir Nickel Nanoweb.

AstralBirth likes this.
  7. ^ All my Ibby's (the newer ones) came with Elixir Nanos - they're beautiful sounding strings, but a little too high tension for me. Once they wore out - I went back to my beloved D'Add Prosteels.

8. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Yup, the Elixirs (common 45-105 gauge, with 130 low-B and 32 high-C) are high tension strings. These days I'm not too fond about high tension strings either. This is why I've switched to Dunlop Super Brights more and more (the same 45-105 + 130 gauges), as they are lower tension and more flexible. But, with such high tension strings as the Elixirs, I could set the string actions lower than what I could do with the Super Brights. Although it's not crazily high with the Super Brights, it's still acceptable to my taste.

9. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    I've read something similiar to this before. Definitely a valid point, and for a Dingwall owner, it probably wouldn't make a ton of sense to go for the SRMS unless there were some sort of major sonic difference the Dingwall couldn't pull off as well.
    The SRMS seems like a really appropriate and more affordable "stepping stone" to the world of fan fretted basses and I look forward to finding one to sit down with in a store for a little while, just to get a feel for fanned frets. I have a feeling I'll like them, and if I do, my next NBD will most likely be the SRMS805.

10. AstralBirth

I’ve been a Dunlop super brights user for over three years when I made the change to GHS. Really loved the way Dunlop still retained their brightness and feel but then I went back to GHS and remembered why I fell in love with their product line. I’m on the fence between using super steels or the progressives so I bought both sets to try out for myself.

11. I purchased 6 sets of Dunlop SS Super Brights (40100), and think have a brilliant piano tone, but I should have gotten them in 45105. I thought I'd try a light gauge, and ... well ... I still have 2 new sets left I don't plan on using. The Prosteels aren't quite as bright, but they come with a lot wider range of gauges. I really like the newer balanced tension set EPS300 & EPS300-5 with a tapered B, E, A: 127T, 107T, 85T, 63, 43.

12. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    True. Not to mention D'Addario makes the Pro Steels in 38" winding length (that they called Super Long Scale) which is needed for the low-B on SRFF / SRMS.

I used Pro Steels before (though not on the SRFF) and remembered liking them, but then I tried now discontinued D'Addario FlexSteels which I like even more as they are more flexible (hence the name) and lighter tension due to the usage of smaller hex core. This is why I like Dunlop Super Bright series which more or less were built with the same recipe of smaller hex core. But Dunlop only have them in 37.25" winding length, so they aren't long enough to be used on SRFF/SRMS.

13. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I'm the other way around...

I've just taken off my last set of GHS Pressurewounds which I had been a user of them in the last 3 years, which then I replaced with the Elixirs and almost in the same time I installed my 2nd set of Super Brights on another bass (so now I have 2 basses with the Elixirs (3 if I counted in my ABG) and 2 basses with the Super Brights).

AstralBirth likes this.
  14. AstralBirth

When I first tried Elixirs on my Ibanez sr650 I was completely blown away on how loud the strings were (even louder with the already loud Nordstrand pickups to go with it in passive and active mode) and they continued to stay loud for the three months I had them on.

Aidil likes this.
  15. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    I have the super long scale chromes on my multiscale.

16. AstralBirth

Hey guys so I just wanted to comment back on how I feel about my recently purchased Ibanez SRFF model. Withing the past month I’ve fallen in love with the instrument, I swapped out the D’Addario strings that came with the instrument with GHS Progressives and the sound was interesting. I was wowed for a couple of minutes until the strings started settling in so then I tried the recent GHS Balanced Nickels and I’m just in tone heaven!!

I think I’ve found my set of strings for my SRFF and I haven’t came across a good instrument like this in a long time. I may just keep the electronics and pickups the same for this bass as i originally intended to swap the pickups to Nordstrands. I’ll give it some years before I make that decision of course. Just wanted to update everyone on that since I made the announcement of my purchase a while back. Happy holidays!

17. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I'm glad that you found a bass you bond with. What was your biggest adjustment to switching to FF?

AstralBirth likes this.
  18. AstralBirth

Nothing really, I felt there was no adjustment at all. I just plugged and played as usual believe it or not lmao. It’s just a well balanced bass thats makes it unique compared to my other basses. This is now my go-to instrument.