1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would an MXR M-80 work for this

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, Mar 6, 2008.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I have always used a bass amp head, and i recently bought an MXR m-80 for a "backup DI box" in case of a meltdown at a gig. Would the M-80 work as a pre-amp with a regular power amp? Does anyone use one w/ a power amp as their main rig? Pros and Cons?

2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Yes It should work. I myself don't use that device but it's similar to the Sansamp
    in terms of what it can do. The MXR M-80 gets rave reviews from some folks who have
    used it in a preamp capacity. You could try running it into the power amp in input of
    your amp rig to test it out.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I have one that's used strictly for the DI, but I think it would work as a preamp just fine. The distortion channel ain't bad either, and the eq actually can work wonders on your tone, but as Thumpbass has said, the unit should be fine for your purpose.

4. Ive been thinking of doing this with my sansamp, although my MAG300 is a nice head, id just prefere a smaller power section to lug around.

I tried this by running it into my effects loop return, worked fine and sounded good.

5. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    You're not gonna get a hot enough signal to fully drive the power amp. The Sansamp will get close because of the Line/Instrument switch. If you want to use the MXR as such, you'll need something to boost the signal. You can get an ART Tube MP Studio for $30 and that will give you all the signal you'd need while the MXR would give you tonal control.

MXR->ART->Power Amp