Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

would any Luthier.........

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by warwickben, Jun 30, 2002.

1. would any Luthier sell just neckthough neck.like the person buying the neck tells you the specs(wood scaleect) and you make them a neck.i figure if you did this it would help alot of us who want to make a bass but cant do all the neck work.

also why dont smaller Luthier's that need the money make like the neck and body and that is it. they dont do any of the finish work like routing the pickups and so on. like for people who want to bulid a bass but can do the body shaping and neck work.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's hard to compete with the CNC machines that Carvin and Warmoth use to make their kits. I'd imagine that my margins would go down if I were to try to market unfinished instruments.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I emailed Warmoth asking if they made necks for neck-throughs. They said they did not, but they were considering it. That was two years ago, and they're still not available.

4. i dont mean like kits to buy.i fugre there alot of people who want to bulid basses but cant.iam just saying the smaller Luthier's should sell neck thought necks ,one to make more money i figure if youll sell a neck made out of woods the person want at a good price they will sell and how long does it take to make a bass and how long to make just the neck. second i know alot of people want to make basses but the neck work is the reason they dont. and if you sell necks made out of the wood they want more people would . only reason i havnt bought a carvin is because its not the wood i want for a neck.

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Most of the work goes into the neck.

Suppose a luthier builds a custom bass and clears $1000 after expenses. That's a modest take if you are building 10-15 per year. If the neck were 50% of the total labor (it's probably more), then he'd have to charge $500 for the neck.

6. Well, maybe not for $500, but it would make the building of a bass a lot easier. I wanted to make a bass this summer and I can get all the resources and tools that I need, but making the neck scares the hell out of me. Too many measurements and details. I think I might go with the Carvin even though the woods suck. It would be good for practice, too.

7. same thing with me.ill go with carvin any ways.i call them up to see if thell make necks with diffent woods.

8. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Others might be hesitant to give their name to an unfinished product, unaware of how it is going to turn out. If the project turns out great thats fine, but there will be cases of someone saying "Yeah it sucks but I think its because of so-and-so's neck I bought..." I personally wouldn't sell anything I didn't make completely. Not everything is about money.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Similar for me.
    I wonder whether they'd do the 35" scale fretting, too.
    I understand this point of view 100%, too. Integrity, and word-of-mouth, are important.