1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would anybody do me the favor of offering a short review of my bands EP?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by AW151, Jun 18, 2014.

1. AW151

AW151

Oct 18, 2007
    Magnetic Memory is a rock band out of the Queen City of the Ozarks. We recently released our self titled 5-track EP. I was hoping some respectable TBers would offer a few words of compliment/criticism on it.

You can listen to it in it's entirety on our bandcamp page.

Thank you for your time.

2. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    I'm by no means a respectable TBer buuuuuuut.. I did give cascade and wishing well a listen start to finish. And if you're the bass player, hats off to you, bass really shines here. Way more than most other bands. Even though the music isn't the same area, the mix reminds me a bit of some Interpol albums where it's clean bass but it's at the forefront of the songs. Some people might think it's too much but I like it. Most bands don't have enough bass, can't pick it out from the mix. This sounds pretty good to me

3. AW151

AW151

Oct 18, 2007
    Thank you very much for that. My favorite song on the EP is Molecules in the Ocean. I get to have a bit more fun with it. Yes I am the bass player, and I sincerely appreciate the compliment. Our recording engineer was a 72 year old veteran of the recording business, so we got that old-school touch. He also happened to be a bassist, I am sure that helped the bass guitar in the mix. Again, I sincerely appreciate the compliment and you taking the time to listen and give insight on some fresh indie rock from the Ozarks.

4. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Not personally a huge fan of the genre but objectively the music is well written and your bass playing sounds great. Sits very well in the mix. Nice job!

5. AW151

AW151

Oct 18, 2007
    Thank you very much for giving a listen. I really appreciate the compliment on my playing! I must again give credit to the engineer on the album. He was awesome to work with. What genre of music do you typically prefer?

6. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Listened to Cascade. Nice recording job. Very solid bass that sits well in the mix and serves the song. Singer sounded a slight bit sharp throughout the song (a la Robert Plant). This is sometimes done on purpose to make the voice stand out a bit, but I personally don't care for it.

Overall, a very nice effort. I enjoyed it.

7. AW151

AW151

Oct 18, 2007
    Thank you for the listen and the critique. I think you are correct about the vocals. We were trying to get a unique sound influenced by late 60s & 70s rock. I think our primary vocal styling influence was David Bowie. If you listen to the song "Collide" I think you will definitely hear the direction we were trying for. As well I like the bass lines in "Collide" much better. I had to simplify my bass lines to "Cascade" and "Wishing Well" substantially to make them fit with the creative direction we took those songs. I got to record "Collide" and "Molecules in the Ocean" as they were written. As well, I feel the subject matter of the song "Collide" has a lot more impact than "Wishing Well" or "Cascade". That is an opinion of course. I enjoy all of the songs, but you get a different view of the band if you listen to "Collide" or "Molecules in the Ocean". They are the meatier songs. "Wishing Well" & "Cascade" are the poppy songs. "Sycamore Tree" I do not know what category to put it in. It is different.

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Adam - I just listened to the entire EP.

First of all I must say I really like the name Magnetic Memory. It fits the vibe of the music perfectly.
    I always listen to the overall feel of a song before delving into individual instrumentation and production, mix ect.

Cascade is a very nice upbeat and tight tune. Yeah.. great bass presence in the mix. All the songs really.

Wishing Well is a solid tune with slightly warbled vocals. The singing on the other tracks are not like this, so I assume the vocals were designed and sung that way on purpose. It slightly detracts from an otherwise well written and performed track.

Sycamore Tree has much better vocal delivery. The song has a real nice cruising vibe to it. Sorta makes me want to kick back and enjoy. - See what I mean about the "vibe" or feeling a song can create - great job.

Molecules in the Ocean. Another well written and executed performance. Nice changes and tightness from everyone. All the members sound and play very good on all the tunes. You should be proud of this EP man.

Collide - Again a nice upbeat and well crafted song. I really like the Bluesy/Indie/Alt mood of the band.
    I wasn't able to make out all the lyrics on first listen, but everything really seems to go together well with the music.

I Like your band a lot. Good stuff. Fresh and crisp production throughout. Good playing from everyone. Very good song structures and vocals. Keep up the good work!

9. AW151

AW151

Oct 18, 2007
    I appreciate you taking to the time to give us a full objective review of the entire album! Thank you for the critique and the compliments. I am glad you enjoyed it!