1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would anyone be willing to help with this please? (amp tube stuff)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Marvel, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Hi everyone,

I am in need of a full set of tubes for a Fender Bassman 300PRO and decided on a set of Svetlana winged c's and some JJ's pre-amp tubes but then I saw these on e-bay -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160253288375&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The description seems vague but the guys feedback is really good, plus its half the price of what I've been looking at.
    Is this worth a gamble or should I stick to the 'you get what you pay for rule'?
    This is my first purchase of tubes and I would rather not do something silly.

As always any advice is hugely appreciated.

2. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    Wow, seeing the price tag on tubes makes me glad a play a solid state w/VT pedal.

3. If I was to buy the tubes I have been looking at from a shop in England its about £350 or $500. Ouch!

Its worth it though..............:D;)

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Seems like a fair deal from a fair dealer, but whether the tubes you get are "as good" as like a full set of JJ's or Telefunkens, maybe not--no way to know for sure in advance. Note this bit from his ad copy:

5. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Tubes can be unstable in transit and any damage that occurs from the time they leave the factory till you install them will only show up with you.
    If there is a problem you need to be able to clear it up, so you need a relationship with the supplier so if there are problems you can sort them out.
    Then we have cheap tubes re-packaged as the real deal, seconds etc., not saying that this is the case but they are out there so only fair to warn you.

I would get my tubes local, through a reputable service dealer, may cost a bit more but then you have a physical place to return to if any problems. Those problems may be faulty tubes, bias problems, etc and that's what you pay for and why you support local trade, so it is there if you ever need it, and with valves... you will. :)

6. Yeah, it all sounds good but dare I say........TOO good?

As it works out so much cheaper for me I am leaning towards pulling the trigger and seeing what I get.

Kind of feels like buying a baseball card pack only with bass amp tubes.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, i'd prefer to have a set of winged C 6550's in that amp. you can get a matched sextet from antique electronics supply (http://tubesandmore.com/) for only $183.60 and then get two JJ ECC83S's ($8.78 ea) or two ECC803S's ($11.70 ea), and you'll not only be saving $, but i think that you'll be getting better tubes. i've always had great service and fast shipping when dealing with them too.

8. Thanks, thats great advice. This way I'll get what I really want for the money with no risk as to what I'm getting.. I'll just have to hope they don't get damaged in the journey to England.:meh:

Thanks guys I'm glad I asked before taking the plunge.

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    they pack their shipments very well so i think that they'll survive the journey.

10. http://www.eurotubes.com/

Are you retubing yourself, or handing it into a tech to do? When I had my guitar amp fixed up (something internally had gone, and killed the power tubes along with), the tech got me a full set of tubes for less than it would have cost anywhere else I looked. Heck, even with his bench/service charge, it wasn't much over what it would have cost for the tubes alone!