would changing my tuners be worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve_man, Mar 12, 2003.

1. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I have a geddy lee jazz and I have had some problems with the tuners before. But once I had them changed no real huge problems. Although when changing strings it is sometimes hard to turn keys.

I've always been considering this (pretty much because I want to with black tuners - think it would go nice). But if I were to change these tuners and little or no difference in performance I wouldn't do it (I want something more than a bass that looks good).

Right now at the moment the bass goes out of tune after playing for about an hour or two. the G tuner goes out of tune very frequently and needs more effort to keep in tune after you've tuned it.
    the d string tuner does this but near as much (happens very seldom - once or twice every 1 or 2 weeks).

E and A string I haven't had really any problems.

Also I'm opened to brand reccomendations but tell me your experience with them (only if you've used a bass with them for a year more)
  2. hmm, i think that that could be your strings...

I've had cheap stirngs go outta tune pretty quick, and sometimes last for a week! and this was on my cheap bass.

maybe you could try a different set of strings ?

But hey, if you want black, go for it ! I doubt the tuners have any effect on performance. Just how in tune you are.. ;)
  3. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I don't think it is that. I've had many sets of strings on it: DR's, fender's, Dean Markley blue steel

If I can get rid of this problem make the tuning on my bass easier while at the same time make my bass look a little more respectable I think I will.

I called one of the local guitar dealers and they said about $185 canadian for a set of gotohs (28:1) for fender jazz.

I'm not really wanting to shell out that much.
  4. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I know hipshots are less and I also think schaller are too but this is where I need some suggestions
  5. I have Shallers on my Fender Strat.
    They're excellent. Get 'em.

As for my bass, I have an old '69 Univox(Japanese) Coily. Looks like an Epiphone Rivoli with F-holes...so you know.

Anyway, my E and A strings go out of tune way too soon. The D and G strings are fine.
    If Shaller makes tuners for this type of bass, I won't hesitate to get them.

I'm sure other brands are good too, but I have no long-term experience with any other brand.
    Hope that helps.
  6. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    there were a whole bunch of Tber's hot rodding their geddy's and other japanese j basses where are you guys to?

Need Opinions

I'm kinda leaning towards gotoh and hipshot.
  7. i say go for it. a bass shouldn't go out of tune that often and different tuners can make a bass look so much better. the only replacement brand i've tried are hipshot ultralights, and they're great, but i'm sure you can't go wrong with schallers.
  8. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    what's the difference in cost for other than the wind ratio(eg. 28:1, 20:1, etc.)?
  9. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I just put some Hipshots on my Geddy and I'm really happy with them. They have a set that will match up perfectly with the stock tuners (which are crap, IMO).
  10. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Two factors can effect tuning. Slipping tuners and a graphite nut grooved by roundwounds. I had a Peavey Cirrus and changed the stock tuners to Hipshot Ultralites 26:1 (I think), and had a mother of pearl nut made and installed. No problems thereafter. These problems are IMO picky, since everyone seems to play the stock Cirrus basses with the stock tuners with no problem. However, I now have the Cirrus Tiger Eye (top of the line) that comes with Hipshot Ultralites. Tell you something?
  11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    How are you winding the strings around the tuner posts? 2 winds nice and tight, or 5 winds sloppy and overlapping (and leaving the 'wiskers' sticking out)?

I have a hard time believing the tuners are slipping.
  12. I just got a GL Jazz, and the tuners definitely have to go. These stock things suck compared to the Schallers that came on my Rickenbacker, so I'll replace them with Schaller BMFLC's.

13. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    So what's the difference in cost all about?

Anybody with any gotoh experience?

Also what is the difference between Gotoh, Schaller, and Hipshot

Caca de Kick: I've got about 2-3 wraps for each tuner. Although I may have stretched the strings. I took them off and put them back on again. But this tuning problem was something that happened even before I had those strings.

vivaknoxvegas: What model is it that. I'm not paying a couple hundred bucks for the same problems I have now.
  14. Why don't you tighten the tension adjust screws on the back of the tuners? (Assuming they're typical Fender open backs) One phillips screw driver is all you need.
  15. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I've had problems with these tuners before. I've already had them replaced once. Plus I don't know enough to go foolin' around with something that I use so frequently.

No educated guesses here!
  16. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I believe I ordered the HB2 model tuners. Just give Hipshot a call and they can tell you more. You can get a set for under $100.

Check out http://www.hipshotproducts.com/