1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would Fender Deluxe P Bass Special 4-Sting a good bass 4 beginner w/smaller hands?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ironmanshak, May 30, 2011.

1. Ironmanshak

Ironmanshak

May 29, 2011
    I'm looking to buy my first bass. I have relatively small hands. The bass I've got my eyes set on is a Fender Deluxe P Bass Special 4-String Bass. It has Jazz neck, P Bass body, Noiseless Pickups (J bridge pickup, P center pickup) and active electronics.

Price is not really an issue. I don't want to buy a "cheap" one and regret not having bought something better the first time. I'd rather "buy once, cry once"

Thanks.
    Mark

2. Having a Jazz neck, w/it's narrower(1 1/2" as opposed to 11 3/4" or occasionally, 1 5/8")might be very nice for smaller hands. Beyond that, the Fender P-Bass is as near to the *standard* bass guitar for most applications- I'd say it would make an excellent first bass.

3. change-jug

change-jug

Oct 11, 2008
    Buffalo,NY
    I have one(blizzard pearl with maple neck) and I really like it a lot! It`s my 2nd P bass and third Fender and I really enjoy it. I use it for my main band bass. The neck on it is really slim. As a first bass,it`s a really nice choice.

4. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I had one (replaced with an Am. Dlx P Bass)... they are great sounding, easy to play keepers. You may want another Bass down the line but you won't need one.

I too have small hands but it never stopped me from play any Bass and playing well.

I say get it (My Fave is the Candy Red with Maple fingerboard) and if you have a killing desire to "mod" it get one off these:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bpickguard_pregenuinedlx.htm

(pearl or black)

and just enjoy!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of LOW END.

5. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    I have smaller hands than most bass players.

Speaking for myself, it doesn't really matter if the neck width (measuring from top of nut E to G) is 1 1/2" or 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" at the nut. My hands don't have a problem with those specific widths of the neck. It's the thickness/depth of the neck (measuring from fretboard to back of neck) that is the problem for my hands.

So I would suggest you audition several basses with several different types/sizes of necks, before commiting and buying one.

Realistically, you should always thoroughly audition/play any bass, before buying. Make sure the neck feels comfortable in your hands, make sure the body feels good against your body and make sure you like the overall fell and sound of the bass.

Some people tend to audition one bass (the one out on display) and then ask for a brand new, in an unopened box version of the bass they just auditioned. I learned a long time ago that's not a good idea. I buy and take home the bass that I physically played and bonded with.

Go with what feels right for your hands.

6. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I own the Blue and Gold one and its my best bass by far.

However, for a beginner, I would suggest the Ibanez Sr300-Sr500 series.

Learning how to play on a smaller neck made the transition to a bigger jazz neck on the deluxe special very easy for me. I think if I would have had the deluxe first, I would have had trouble stretching my fingers.

Anyway, can't go wrong with the deluxe.

7. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    That was my first bass as well. I did not really care for the electronics and the neck was too skinny for me, but that's all subjective. I would test one out first to see if you like the sounds you can get out of it. I sold it about a year in.

8. Ironmanshak

Ironmanshak

May 29, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else want to chime in??