1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would flats work well with...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jun 8, 2007.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    ...Duncan SPB-3 1/4 pounders in a p-bass? I play with a pick. I've never played with flats before but searching through all the posts here in the string section, lots of you highly endorse flats on p-basses. Anyone tried this combo? Good idea? Bad idea?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    The 1/4 pounder is a very bright and hot P/U. With round wound strings it is super harsh and clangy. I've got ground rounds on my P and I like them a lot. With a pick, I would think flats would be uber good!

3. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Flats are awesome on a P with Quarter Pounders ... as Phalex said, I found the pups to be too bright with rounds, so I switched to Chromes and it made a world of difference. You get the thump and low finger noise of flats with about the same amount of clarity as rounds, and if you use a pick you can get a killer rock tone a la John Paul Jones.

4. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I swapped out my rounds for flats (chromes) last night and they feel fantastic. I still haven't played plugged in yet but I'm loving the old school vibe so far. I barely got the E string base through the bridge hole. I actually burned the blue thread-ish coating off to get it small enough.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021