1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would floating thumb work well in a modern rock band?

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson [Archived]' started by elpelotero, Jul 20, 2007.

1. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    Some decently fast licks. Songs are about 160bpm on the average. Most rock players anchor on the pickup. I'm trying to incorporate a semi-movable anchor so I don't have to stretch for the higher strings. (I don't move my thumb on every change...for example, I'll move to the A string to play notes on the D and G, then go to the B string to play notes on the A and E.

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    It should work just fine. I don't see a problem with it. It feels very natural to me.

Joe

3. spindizzy

spindizzy

Apr 12, 2004
    Michigan
    If you can play it while anchored than you can play it while floating. Floating your thumb doesn't IMHO change because it is one genre or another, it is genre independent. As Todd is found of saying it is a more efficient way to play therefore the form of music is less relavent and speed can only be enhanced because your mechanism is now more efficient. The one caveat may be that there are just some forms of speed metal that just aren't the same played with your fingers rather than with a pick and the pick doesn't benefit from floating thumb (unless you are like Jauqo III-X and hold it without using your thumb).

Spin

4. I'm one of those who anchors my thumb. But, the place I anchor it changes depending on whether I'm using my 4 or 5 string bass. I only started playing the 5 string in the past six-months. When playing the 4 string, my anchor is the pickup. When playing the 5 string, my anchor is usually the low B string, until I play it, then I go back to the pickup.

5. Yes it can be done with no problem, in fact it is the technique i've been using for years...

6. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    can I get a video of someone doing this technique in fast motion? The only videos I've seen are the lesson ones by Wilis and Todd.

7. Nighthawk551

Nighthawk551

Jan 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound
    Gary Willis "re-taught" me with the floating thumb method after anchoring gave me a bad case of tendonitis. After you get used to it, you can play just as fast as if you were anchoring. I highly recommend it.

8. i play a 6 string in a hard rock band and in my punk project (that will be touring from Halifax Nova Scotia to Toronto Ontario soon. ill keep ya posted) and i play fast riffs and i play and =amount on all my 6 strings fast with the floating thumb

9. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Elpelotero!!

Hey, great question.......Obviously, the other guys have essentially answered your question. Yes, the floating thumb works for playing the bass....it's not "style" specific. It'll work for everything....

To see the floating thumb in action, go to my YouTube.com channel and check out some of my performance videos. I'm using the floating thumb on everything......This should be what you're looking for.......it will definitely work!!!!!

Have fun.......and play slow!!!!;)