Would GC go for this??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Oct 20, 2005.

1. I have a 1998 Fender MIM 5 String Jazz Deluxe. 5 string just isnt for me (I prefer either 4 or six). This thing is in GREAT condition and has the tobacco burst option.

I would like to trade it in for a MIM 4 String. It doesnt have to be the Deluxe. Passive should be fine.

Do you guys think they would do an even trade or would I get raped on mine??
  2. after hearing storys about guitar center, im reconning rape
  3. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    You can expect to get about 1/3 of what you paid for it.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    How much do you think you could get for that bass on eBay?

Thats the very most Guitar Center could expect to sell it for. Now consider that they have hundreds of other new instruments in better condition with manufacturers warranties available right next to that bass competeing for attention. To compete with them, they will need to mark the bass down more. Now consider that anyone who comes in to buy the bass will probably point out different little scratches and dings either you didnt notice, or that happened to the bass while its in the store. They need to mark it down more for that. Now consider that someone will come in and ask for a deal because its outdated or because they are a good customer. They need to mark it down more. Now consider that in order to provide the salespeople with an incentive to sell the bass they need to be sure that there is more profit margin in it than a pack of picks, so they might only offer you around half of what they plan to sell it for later.

They aren't trying to rape you, they just cant practically offer you more than what they do most of the time.

If you want more money, sell it on eBay. If you want a quick sale, bring it to Guitar Center.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    25% of the retail price is a good estimate sometimes but its far from being accurate all of the time.
  6. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    that bass on ebay goes for about 299-250 depending on color combo and accessories. GC would do an even trade if lets say they had a used MIM sitting there for months, it would be a way to hopefully get a sale.
  7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I think RAPE is the best word possible. I know that music stores give about 25% of the value for a trade. Worse yet a down trade. They usually hate them. They want you to spend more money not less. E-bay it or see if another TB'er would want a trade or purchase. Much easier and a safer bet to get at least a fair price for it. Then take your money to wherever and get what you want.
  8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You're going to take a hit in a trade in regardless of where you take it.
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I heard once that GC's will give you 50% of what they plan to sell it for.
  10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's not a tried and true formula.

I once got $2300 in trade for a bass they have been attempting to sell for $2700.

For a lower market item like a 7 year old mim Fender, though, it's probably closer to the truth than not.
  11. To clarify; they price it at 1/2 or a little under 1/2 of what the sell to product at used. They'll also do better deals on trade ins, just talk to a manager or someone who can do overrides on prices and level with them. Worst case scenario is they can't do it, u take it to the bay or here on for sale boards. Good luck.
  12. PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    How long have you had the Bass? GC has a return policy, 30 days from date of purchase(I think).
  13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

I didn't know for sure. My only reason for saying this is that I overheard a GC salesman telling that to a guy who was looking to trade a bass there when I was within earshot. The salesman basically told him that he was better off selling it outright. Which I thought was pretty decent of him.

I am sure this is not always the case though. I have only bought gear straight out from GC, so I don't have any personal experience with it.
  14. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Kinda a side story....but related.....

I went to another large music store chain (Sam Ash) near me. I was looking to trade in a Steinberger Spirit 5-string. Think I paid $283 on MusicYo.com. I wanted to get a Standard Jazz, so if I got $100 bucks for it, I'd be happy.

Well the department manager took a look at it.....and they offered me $250!!

The funny thing was I went back to the store a week later and they had it on sale for $350!! More then a new one on MusicYo.

Go Figure???
  15. guitarkim79

May 8, 2002
    I thought that I got a fair trade at a Guitar Center, so it's possible. They nearly gave me the "blue book" value towards a trade. All of the other local stores offered me significantly less.

I'd suggest taking the bass with you and asking what they can do for. Maybe you'll get lucky. If they won't work with you, you can just walk away.
  16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats usually it at my store.
  17. After all is said and done, you should be WAY ahead selling the bass yourself rather than trading it in at GC. It isn't "rape." They're in business to make a profit. By the way, they sell MIM J-Basses like MacDonald's sells hamburgers; one doesn't normally sit for months...unless it's a real dog.
  18. Jackson E

Jackson E Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2004
    East Nashville, Tn.
    Raped most definitely, with no lubes. They offered me $450 on a brand new guitar that goes for $1800 on ebay. Needless to say I didn't take it.
  19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You say brand new, but the buyer says used.
  20. They were shooting their best shot. There are probably people who would've gone for it. Granted, not smart people. :D