1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would guitar center give much for a standard p bass(mom)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Seriouscat123, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123 Inactive

Jun 26, 2013
    I don't play it and was thinking maybe I could get at least 200. Had a warped pickguard thats the only flaw.

Burwabit likes this.
  2. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123 Inactive

Jun 26, 2013

3. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

Mar 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Figure about 60% of what similar basses are selling for in the used gear section of their website.

Lowbrow likes this.
  4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    You will get a better return if you sell it yourself or have another shop sell it for you via consignment.

5. I'll give you $200 for your mom. ;)

6. Guitar Center will give you about half of what you could get by selling on craigslist.

AndyLES, AdamK and Aqualung60 like this.
  7. Right_Butterscotch64

Right_Butterscotch64

Oct 18, 2012
    You would be looking at 100-200 depending on the year and condition.

8. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    I've found that GC will offer about half of what they will untimately try to resell it for. Look up a similar model in their online used site and cut the price in half.

Aqualung60 and Winfred like this.
  9. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Keep it and start playing, that's an order.... Unless you are really in need for cash and in this case if you endure the wait, up to Craigslist it should go and you could get up to TWICE WHAT GC WILL GIVE YOU FOR IT.

tangentmusic likes this.
  10. I don't know why anyone sells or trades in at GC because they only give you half. I'm glad that they do though as I have found some deals there. So if anyone wants to trade in say a Lakland 5502 to MY local GC, go right ahead.

AndyLES and tedsalt like this.
  11. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    I too have found some really great deals there, but those deals come at the expense of the seller. I can't really blame GC. They are retailers. To make a profit they need to buy low and sell higher.

12. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Drop the membership fee for this site on Paul and list it here.

AndyLES, joe vegas, SunnBass and 11 others like this.
  13. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    Convenience.
    Lack of care.
    Tired of trying.
    CL is filled with jackholes.
    Ebay requires shipping.

I understand completely. There comes a time when you're sick of looking at it and no one's making the offer.

SirMjac28, JakeyBran, wagdog and 9 others like this.
  14. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Exactly!
    I value my time, sanity and privacy too much to be listing things on Craigslist. If my loss is only a coupe hundred bucks, off to GC it goes. If the loss would be more than that I'd list it here. But even here you still have to put up with the packing and shipping and potential dissatisfaction of the buyer and Paypal or other payment methods. If I can get $200 from GC for a bass that I would only get $400 for on Craigslist I'd be dropping it off at guitar center.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    Donavan12, VWbug, TMARK and 1 other person like this.
  15. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    Because they won't call me in a week and say they need their money back because it stopped working.

Donavan12 and Aqualung60 like this.
  16. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123 Inactive

Jun 26, 2013
    Is yours just free?

RyanJD and Aqualung60 like this.
  17. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Most MIM Fender basses sell at GC for about $300-350. $200 is a pretty typical buy price. Better yet, use it as trade so you can get 10% off a new item in addition to the trade value.

18. If you don't play and are just looking to get rid of it, Guitar Center is your best bet.

19. 2.6kHz

2.6kHz

Jul 9, 2014
    Stow, MA
    Smaller stores sometimes give better trade value. I have a place around here that will go near 65-70% of their sale price for a trade value, that's pretty good. They pay cash flat at 50%. They'll give me a 30 day warranty and 7 day return on any of the used stuff they sell, good deal to me.

20. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Send me pictures. If it looks good I will give you $210!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021