Would guitar center give much for a standard p bass(mom)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Seriouscat123, Feb 9, 2015.

1. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    OP - is your name Stacy and does your MOM have it going on?

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    First time (and last) I took anything to GC to sell/trade, they got the average selling price off ebay and offered me half of that. It was an MIM J bass with babicz bridge and dimarzio pups and they said they couldn't add anything for those. They did offer me an additional $12 if I included the SKB 44 case the bass was in.

3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    ^ my experience exactly.

4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I dunno man... Moms are priceless.

5. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. with all due respect to OP, why not just walk into your nearest GC and see what they offer you ... ??

... BTW, there are several eras of MIM Standards, and not all are worth the same ... ;)

GBassNorth likes this.
  6. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    And then walk over to the nearest FedEx and price a shipping box big enough to hold your bass in a hard case or double boxes if you only have a gig bag. Then get an estimate on the cross country ship price for that box size assuming the weight to be about 20 pounds. Dont forget the FedEx packing price if you want it insured and the cost of insurance. When all is said and done including PayPal fees and TB member fees and shipping/insurance fees you're going to have a total of $50 to $100 out of pocket to ship that bass correctly.

Remember, we're talking about a bass valued somewhere between $300 to $400 used. So if you get an offer of $350 and it costs you $100 out of pocket to get that offer you're coming out of the deal with $250 after days of work and hoping you end up with a reasonable buyer and not some nut job that wants to return it.

Take it to Guitar Center and I bet they give you between $100 and $200 for that bass. That's as little as $50 difference and you've washed your hands of it, no buyer to claim it wasn't what they thought it would be, or it got damaged in shipping so they refuse to accept it or any other countless hassles that can occur on a mail order sale and potentially cost you even more money to correct.

In this price range GC is usually the most reasonable alternative.

7. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Geez, for a measly two hundred bux ya might as well keep the darn thing.

8. el basso

el basso Supporting Member

Mom's weight? Nut width? :woot:

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 I recently sold my mint Mesa M3 Carbine Combo to the GC I've been going to for years I got a decent price for it not as much as if I had of listed it on Craig's List but I will never do that I don't want strangers coming to my home breaking my amp then trying to get their money back. I thought about listing it here on TB but the shipping is so expensive I would have ended up getting a small amount more than GC was offering.

10. WannabeBassman

WannabeBassman

Jan 17, 2015
    San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles)
    Someone told me pants are optional.
    No questions about the lower bout width? :laugh:

11. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

Mar 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    This weekend I flipped a couple of cheap Epiphone guitars with GC. I only got $70 for them, but i also got a $30 trade-in discount on my new Squier VM 70s Jazz Bass. So that's $100 in value. The best I could have hoped for on the Epis selling them myself would have been $175 tops.

So you figure that I paid GC about $38 per guitar to handle the marketing and sales and to assume the risk of dealing with returns, etc. Plus I got the deal over and done in about 20 minutes and was on my way home with a new bass I could use instead of two guitars I couldn't. That convenience was easily worth the cost in this case.

12. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    I just want to know if his mom has fast action or not.

13. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    What kind of string lube should I use with MoM. Also, if Im gonna clean her fingerboard; which type of oil does MoM prefer? All legit questions right?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021