1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would halfwounds do the job?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by willkt6, May 9, 2006.

1. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    Ok, I'm using roundwonds and get ALOT of finger noise on open strings, but not fretted notes. On both of my basses, so it's not the bass. I want a smooth kinda funky tone, but with bite for metal too. I like to cut through under the mix if you know what I mean :bassist:. I use 40-130 gauge D'Addarios right now, and I was wondering what halfwound gauage would be similar in tension, or slightly less?

2. I have D'Addario Half Rounds on my Jazz bass and like them so far. You loose most of the finger noise, has good lows, nice mids that aren't too growly. Smooth sounding easy playing string to me. Expect it to be somewhere inbetween a flat and round wound string.

3. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    thanks, is there huge difference in tension? cos i dont want to have my bass set up after a few months of using them. I also like low tension strings, so are they high or low?

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
  5. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    Thanks, I'll wait till my rounds are dead and try a set of these. I'm just wondering why there is no normal scale 5 string set :meh:

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    use the "long scale" set. clip off what you don't need. that should work out fine.