Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would I be able to make payments

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Sep 20, 2004.

1. I'm 15, and I was wondeirng if I decide to get a high-end bass, but oay for it in monthly payments, instead of all up front. Will I they allow me to make payments since I'm only 15?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Most custom builders have you pay for half up front, and either pay for the rest of it upon completion or pay periodic installments until it's done. Since this is completely at their own discretion, a builder might not trust that a 15-year old could pay for it all-you may need to get a parent to pay for you.

3. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Let me give you some priceless advice.

Dont bury yourself in debt beause you want a sweet bass. Wait until you can afford it & then buy it used.

4. If you're talking about getting a high end bass from a retail store, I think most need you to prove that you have a job and will actually be able to pay for the rest of it. You may be able to get a parent to co-sign for the financing though.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    +1

Debt is the hardest thing in the world to overcome, and the older you get, the more you get caught up in it. Few people are truly free from debt. Try to stay one as long as you can.;)

But, to answer your question a little more directly, some retailers will allow you to buy on layaway, where you make payments over time. The downside is you don't take possession of the bass until the payments are complete. The good thing about layaway, though, is that you don't go into debt to acquire the instrument. The bad thing is you're out the cash for an extended period of time and don't have the bass in your hands.

6. NO, because between you and me I don't want to be harsh but as a luthier that needs to pay his bills with the money he gets from building basses would you risk loosing thousands of dollars on a 15 years old that doesn't even have a steady job and cant be sure he can do all the payments.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Lots of great advice here.

Since this is not really about a specific bass, and appears to be more about financial advice, I am moving it to Miscellaneous.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think you already got enough blunt answers to know that the answer is no.

That doesn't mean that you won't be able afford a high end bass in the next year or so. Your problem is you want the instant gratification of having that bass now.

Consider this: Even if you commissioned a luthier to build you a bass, you'd still have to wait a few months (if not over a year) before your instrument was ready, so you'd have to be patient anyway.

Here's one thing you can do: Ask your parents to set up a savings account for you and start saving. When you have enough money, look for a nice used bass. There are some unbelievable deals out there. Tell your parents it's your birthday/Xmas present to yourself. That way, you'll be able to get a nice bass and your parents will be proud of you. Two birds, one stone. ;)

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm thinking of doing something similiar myself. The only problem is I have no credit, at all. Somebody told me the best way to start a good credit rating is to take out a $1000 loan from the bank (I guess the bank will give you this with no credit) and use the $1000 to make the monthly payments on it. Thing is I'll have to use the $1000 to buy a bass as my current bass has proven useless :spit: . I'm just waiting til I get a job. I'm putting atleast 3-4 applications in a week but nobody calls, even when they say they'll call. I'm starting to get the impression they burn my applications after I leave. :(

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Apart from the money issue, the high end custom bass you want at 15 is not going to be the high end custom bass you want at 20. Trust me.

And, besides--I mean this in the nicest possible way, but any bass you can dream up at this point is probably available in one way, or another, in a production bass that's readily available for a lot less than custom $$$.

You can't possibly have played enough different types of basses at this point to truly know what you want, so focus more on your ability to play, and getting a good solid bass.

You have a lifetime of GAS ahead of you. No need to rush it. :D

11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    This post is overflowing with wisdom. Believe me, you don't even know what you want yet. A costly lesson I learned the hard way. I bought some gimmicky basses before I realized all I really wanted was a meat and potatoes P-bass.

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    15 year olds can't get credit very easily. But 15 year olds can get jobs and can have a savings account. Time is on your side.

13. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    where did he say he wanted it all custom made
    i thought he just said high-end..

ive been playing bass for three years and still have my squier p-bass..
    yep i cud have saved up all my money and dropped in on a musicman.
    but ive invested in a yorkville head...and a 4 x 10 heavily used cab that i got for close to nothing (100 american)..
    and have been building and working on my technique for months.

this christmas i will be getting standard fender jazz...MIM...and after wanting one for a couple years...ill be in love with it..

remember..the bass doesnt make the bass player...the bass player makes the bass.

14. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Don't be in too big a rush to buy a fancy expensive bass. I've been playing for four years and still use my MIM Jazz (modified, however) as my main (and until Friday only) bass. I've sold two basses that I've owned (ok, traded one for an SWR cab) and the only one I regret selling was my SX Fretless Jazz (man I miss that bass!!!), not the more expensive Ibanez BTB (also a nice bass, but too wide of string spacing for me). I suggest modding an MIM fender or SX with nice pups and maybe a bridge or something and just work on technique and such. There's plenty of time for GAS. Just look at JT. :eek: :D

15. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    YES. This is my favorite post in the entire thread. Trust me on it! I'm still 15 as well! The best thing about being 15 is that you don't have bills to pay. So don't get into debt, that would bring bills into play. Just save up your money and watch the TB classifieds like a hawk. I've scored some great deals on there, and my minimum wage job can handle a thousand or two bucks every few months. As long as my legs are up to walking everywhere because gas (and insurance) is too expensive (but a bass isn't :hyper: )

Use the next few years to test the waters. If you're serious about playing bass try as many basses as possible, and always try to go used. Remember this! IF you buy a bass used, you can take care of it and sell it for as much as you bought it if need be. You can't do that with something you buy off the shelf (most of the time).

If the TB classifieds were a nice woman I'd be in line to marry her.