1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would i be able to stick this neck on my mim fender??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by q1014, Mar 17, 2008.

1. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
  2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Not necessarily... the neck shape is not necessarily the same shape as a Fender neck. I would recommend e-mailing Rondo Music and asking them...

3. the neck fits the normal way..backwards im not so sure

4. well, you can use a lefty Fender neck on a righty Fender body. SDB Guitars was talking about the shape of the rounded part of the neck pocket I believe since SX necks are slighty different.

I think it would be a cool look, but personally I think it would be too much work to make the MIM and the SX fit together, I would rather start building my own with Warmoth parts. If money is an issue, think of all the little unnecessary wastes of money, put it together, save it and then buy the Warmoth parts

5. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I think that money is indeed the issue, as that nect is about $60, and a similar neck from Warmoth with a finish would run you something like $400...

Here's what I say - if you like the neck, buy it. If you find that it won't work with your Fender body, make a new body (the MIM Fender is probably Alder, possibly poplar... inexpensive wood to get ahold of) and route the neck pocket to fit the neck you want. Transfer your hardware from the MIM Fender, and have a "custom bass" that is all your own...

6. Either that, or make a template of your neck pocket, transfer it to the heel of the new neck, and make a pass to rout the heel profile down a tad to the depth and dimensions of the body's pocket with a bearing following bit...

THERE! No one's ever suggested that before :smug:

7. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I grafted a MIM P bass neck onto an SX body without too much trouble. The holes were slightly off, but it wasn't impossible to fix. I imagine it would work the same in reverse. As long as the neck is 2.5 inches wide at the pocket, it should go smoothly.

8. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I don't think it will be a problem but will the E string reach the tuner OK? And the E,A string will be under the string tree but thats no big deal I guess.

9. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I'm guessing that the E-string would reach the tuner okay... he could always buy a long scale set, if need be. DR makes sets that will fit up to 37.5" scale length, and this one will still only be 34"

10. 2lim

2lim

Feb 25, 2007
    I did a reverse on a P bass, it looks sweet, and my Ernie Ball strings fit just fine! I made a custom string tee tho.

Simon

11. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    im concerned about the size of the tuner hole will i be able to just transfer tuners

12. true, but you can find a few bargains there sometimes, I have seen block and bounded lefty J necks for 200 bucks unfnished. Add a nut and a wipe on poly can for another 10, and you are almost set :) at least that's what I do!

13. To me that would be the easy part, if the holes are too small, you can enlarge them. Too big may be a problem but you can get stock SX tuners that should be super cheap

14. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    well i got an email from kurt at rondo music he said it might fit

15. Fool

Fool

Jan 28, 2008
    Lost in LA
    I think you can do it. I added a fretless to my jag with no problems...
    I think a lefty would work. Try it. If all else fails you could just get a another neck.

arial1.