1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would I be alienating some of the band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fleadom, Jul 19, 2007.

1. I am currently in the situation where i could very conveniently get together with one member of my band and do some songwriting but
    I'm not sure if this is a good idea because the rest of the band would get no input on these sessions and therefore the songs wouldn't have so much of their mark on them. I'm wondering if 2 members of your band were to do this would u feel alienated or just glad that they are trying to put extra effort into producing more material?

2. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    That's not alienating...its called Creating. There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting together with another member to share ideas. I don't know about you but I get different energy and different ideas when I'm around different people. Just because you write something, however, doesn't mean you go to your next practice and say "Look, this is how me and Jo-Jo wrote it so you play it that way!" You go into practice and say "WE got some new stuff!" Then you play it, THEN you get input from everybody, THEN it ends up as something everybody's touched. Its the same concept of "everybody" creating, its just people give their input at different stages of the creation process. I see so many bands get stiffled b/c they think they can't do anything b/c everybody in the band isn't in one particular room. That's just silly. Bands aren't gangs. They're bands. A group of musicians that toss ideas and concepts around. You're not supposed to think and act like the rest of them, you should have your own ideas. This is when good bands excel. Everybody takes someone's idea and expounds on it. Its a beautiful process when its not hindered by such silly things like everybody "having" to be in the same room.

Ya dig?

3. Cactusgrant

Cactusgrant

Jul 27, 2006
    Couldn't have said it better

4. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Don't stifle your creative flow for any reason. If you really think about it, usually one person in the band comes up with an idea, then everyone adds their input. Often times it's easier to write with only one other person. This way you can get an idea solidified without interuptions. So just do it and then bring it to the rest of the band and have them add their ideas/influences.

5. Yeh thanks! I'm actually really good mates with every1 in the band and have been since before we started playing together and i guess that I know them well enough to say that they wont b annoyed about it, thanks for the reassurance! I'm off to create!

6. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Say, "Word!"