Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would i be happy with a lakland?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzhed4, Oct 25, 2005.

1. bazzhed4

bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    pretty simple question really. but here is why im asking. noone around my area has one that i can play for a while....no dealers....no players. every one around here is so stuck on either soundgears or fenders...and the occasional stingray that i cant seem to find them around. so here is what im asking. i have heard that laklands have a rather slim neck. i have been a sr5 and a warwick player for quite a while now. like the feel of my sr5...and it has about as thin of a neck that i can play. (not string spacing....but actual thickness of neck.) i am looking with something with a little beef to it...like a stingray. the warwick thumb is a little bit too thick so im looking at staying right at the stingray thickness. have been doing research on my next 5 string and have been hearing that i can get aggressive stingray sounds out of a 55-02 but can still get smoother jazz sounds out of it too. been hearing and reading that the 55-02 is a very good, high quality and versatile bass that wont cost me an arm a leg and a couple of toes. eventually my goal is to be able to save up enough for a sadowsky 5-24 but for now...im looking at something that i can play and be happy with until then. the only thing that concerns me is if the neck is too thin for me. anyone have the two can compare them and tell me which feels thicker...and if they are close to the same thickness or should i start looking somewhere else for a good 5er.
    thanks again tb'ers...this site rocks
    d

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Try jivesound.net or .com

TB'er Jive1 owns it... I'm buying a USA Lakland JO 5 string from him....

PM him, he's really great to work with!

:)

3. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    My favorite bassist as of right now Charlie Hayward of The Charlie Daniels Band
    plays: http://www.lakland.com/basses/55-94.htm
    I think he is playing it on the CDB live CD. His bass lines on it are just Killer.

Anyway If you would be Happy with it I think you would. I dont think I can be much help I have only played a Lakland once it just wasn't for me.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've had both a Metro RV5 and a Skyline DJ5, and I find the necks more simmilar than different. The scale length is longer on the skyline, which I actually prefer.

Stingrays are very nice basses as well, I wouldn't reall consider a 55-02 an "upgrade" to an SR5 so much as just something different with a smoother/mellower sound and the addition of the neck pickup.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've also spent some time with an SR5, and while the string spacing is norrower the contour is simmilar to the lakkie and the sad. Just a nice comfortable moderate C shape. I greatly prefer the wider necks.

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I sold my Stingray 5 for a Lakland 55-02 deluxe. Great bass.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Jivesound! I got my 55-02 from Jong, great guy to work with! You can't get a stingray tone with the barts but if you get SD's in there, you'll be able to get that stingray tone.

9. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I can't say that you'll be happy with a 55-02, but I can tell you I love mine. It's the most comfortable neck I've ever played, and despite having somewhat small hands, I prefer necks that have some beef to them.

According to Lakland's specs, the neck on the 55-02 is .81" thick at the 1st fret, and .92" at the 12th fret.

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I've never AB'd an SR5 and a Lakland, so I can't give you a direct comparison, but all the Laklands I've tried have struck me as having very comfortable necks.

11. No, you won't be happy.

next.

;)

12. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Me to, and in my experience a huge mistake. As for 'will I like a Lakland' only you can decide when you try one. You'll get a bag full of differing opinions here, none of which is particularly relevant to you.

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I'am lucky enough to own a few basses.
    Some old fenders, a Lull p-5. and two Laklands.
    A JO-4-string-maple fingerboard.
    And a Glaub P.
    If your into passive fender style basses, Lakland are the s**t.
    Active go Sadowski.

14. I had an SR5 as my main bass for a few years, but recently moved on to a 55-94. The neck profile of the 55-94 is a little thinner than the SR5, and I find both basses to be very comfortable. The biggest difference for me is string spacing: I prefer the wider spacing of the 55-94. I don't really notice the extra 1" scale length on the 55-94.

Tonally, the 55-94 is quite different from the SR5 IMHO even though they share a bridge humbucker. The Barts in the 55-94 contribute to a bit darker and smoother sound which is great in a live mix. My 55-94 is alder/rosewood, so that also probably has an effect.

Overall, I think both are great basses destined to be "classics" (if they haven't yet already achieved that status), and it comes down to personal preference.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    +100

Jive's brought many Laklands to the Northern VA GTGs and every one of them that I've tried has been wonderful. They're not my personal style, but they are outstanding instruments, no matter whether they are the USA made originals or the "Skyline" basses. IMO you can't go wrong with a Lakland and I would go to Jive's site/store to get one!

http://www.jivesound.com/home/

16. bazzhed4

bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    thanks for all the replies fella's. i know that it is all in personal preference but i was just trying to get some outside influence as well. i guess i forgot to mention a couple of things in my original post.

1. i am keeping my stingray 5. that bass will never leave my side. it is my first quality bass that i ever purchased and it is a rare color. (slinky green i think it was called.) the warwick thumb is the bass that i am getting rid of. just not my sound. great for slap but i suck at slapping so i dont do it much. plus i cant get used to the narrow string spacing.

2. i was wondering about the sd vs bart topic. i heard you can get more of a stingray style sound with the sd's but can you also smooth the sound out. i/e will it be a little more versatile than a sr5.

3. i play in a modern hard rock cover band currently but i have a tendency to write more melodic lines and smoother stuff when i play on my own....so im looking for something that is still going to be able to cover the modern hr/ heavy metal stuff live....but yet can be easily changed to a smoother, more versatile and classic sound. in a nutshell.....id like to be able to go from playing hatebreed to clutch....sevendust to zz top....with a little bit of dog fashion disco thrown in the mix for good measure....all with a turn of the tone knob.... and not sound too far out of place.
    thanks again ppl.
    d

17. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i just got a 55-94, and i love it!
    i did have to put flats onnit, because i don't like rounds. after i did that, i was home... :D

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My advice is this: If you're keeping the Stingray5 (a wise decision IMO), then don't concern yourself with trying to get a stingray sound out of the Lakland. Look for other sounds. Maybe a Jazz bass style Lakland. Why would you want two basses that get the same sound?

19. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Perhaps consider a -02 with DS pickups? Steve barr at the dudepit has the lowest prices around on lakland, and while ive never played one with these pickups in person, ive heard the sound difference through sound clips and its quite something. I cant remember the link but if you go to the dudepit and search for it im sure youll find it

20. Keep the Stingray...

With regard to the Lakland... It depends... I found mine one of the absolute easiest to play that I ever owned but I HATED the sound of the Bartolini pickups... I kept it for less than 6 months before I flipped it for something that sounded much better... From my perspective, the Bart MM pickup is one of the worst sounding pickups out there... But then again I know people tht rave about them so, you gotta take your time and make sure it feels AND sounds good!