Would I be Upgrading?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jambassist, Apr 26, 2005.

1. jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i got a mesa/boogie walkabout that i run through an eden 212xlt...both running at 4 ohms. i also play a stingray. the rig is loud, but i've been wondering if i should get something that'll give me more headroom. been thinking about the svt3-pro as a replacement head. guitar center is willing to give me a decent price on the walkabout head since i have the original box and an skb carry case for it. i play in a three piece punk/alternative/hardrock band. what i have now works good, but i'm looking down the road.

your thoughts please and thank you in advance.
  2. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    the svt3 is probably a step down from the walkabout in sound and volume.
  3. II've never played through a walkabout but I have an SVT 3 powering a 610 right now and it does an awesome job. The watts on the 3 aren't enough to melt someone's face off, but it can hold its own. I read that the walkabout only has 250 watts as well, whereas the 3 has 450. The eq on it also sounds really good IMO. I also think it would work real well with punk, its one of my band's influences and it sounds great. I think it's an awesome head, and from what I've read about the walkabout I don't think it would be a step down. That's all IMO of course.
  4. ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    what he said!
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Having played through both, I can tell you to keep the Mesa and get another cab, possibly a 115 to go under the 210.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the 300 is an OK amp, but no, IMO you won't be upgrading at all.

if the walkabout can do 2 ohms a second cab would be your "best bang for the buck" method of upgrading. depending upon sensitivity, number/surface area of speakers, and voicing, either an 8 ohm or 4 ohm cab would be ok (just as long as the walkabout can handle the 2 ohms - i dunno)