Would I benefit with a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave C., Jan 30, 2005.

1. Dave C.

Dave C.

Mar 10, 2003
    Dayton, Ohio
    I was wondering should I try a preamp with my current rig.I'm a little bored with my sound and just want something fresh.I play a Fender P bass with a Seymour Duncan .25/pd pickup through a Peavey Kilobass head to a Ampeg 8/10 cabinet.Any suggestions or opinions on this would be great.Thanks

I really like Mike Inez's sound.Does anyone know his setup.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you'll just have to try some. as long as your head has an effects return or poweramp in jack you can bypass the head's preamp entirely and use a seperate preamp. you can also run a preamp into the input jack of your head, but then you'll be using both preamps, have your head's preamp color the sound, and will generally add noise.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Used bass pods are down to $100 - $150 now. I picked one up and it will pretty much permanently alleviate the boredom issue. Doesn't have to be a pod, anything along those lines. The pods itself excells at recording but the amp/cab modeling is what I mess with. If you're into effecs get one of the other units cause that's a weak point on the pod. Worth this kind of money just to have it around to throw inspiration, exploration, and experimentation into practice sessions.