1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would I do harm putting an Ibanez ATK through a practice amp only temporarily???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by suitlandkid2005, Mar 17, 2009.

1. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    I am waiting for the arrival of my Ibanez ATK bass(My dream bass and it is the one that came out in the 90's which I hear so many people rave about) and I was wondering is it ok to play it through a practice amp? I have my beginner's Ibanez bass and practice amp. I will be getting a new amp soon.(I am waiting for my tax refund.) but I just don't want the ATK to be sitting there while I wait so would it be ok to play it through a practice amp for now or should I just wait?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What do you imagine would be harmed?

3. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah, its still an amp. It just can't play as loudly as a big amp. Play away!

I basically learned bass through a GUITAR practice amp, and as long as I kept my bass frequency low it was fine.

4. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    WHOA!!!..That was quick. Thank for the reply. I was wondering like maybe frequencies of the practice amp couldn't handle the active electronics from the ATK or something like that. Am I just being paranoid?

5. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    won't hurt at all. the worst that will happen is that the amp will distort. If you don't crank the EQ on the ATK it shouldn't overload the preamp. ATK's output is not super hot.

i love my 90s ATK. you should join the ATK club!

6. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    yea, if you have a bass amp you can play any bass through it.

7. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    Sounds good. Will ATK still sound good coming out of the practice amp or I won't get the best out of it until I get the need amp? Where is the ATK club on here? Could I find out more about it? I just love the way it sounds and can't wait for it to get here. I need to be more informed on what it can do.

Thanks...

8. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    ATK Club: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412352

It will sound good out of whatever you play it through. "Good" is pretty subjective though. Many of us spend a lot of time looking for the best tone. A better amp will sound better, but you'll get an idea for how it sounds compared to your other bass.

Just play it and enjoy it!

9. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks a lot...Will do...

10. Squigly Wiggz

Squigly Wiggz

Feb 27, 2009
    these guys are all correct about playing any bass in any amp. but i thought i would just mention that you may not want to crank the volume to 11 on that practice amp untill you look into more info on it. the speaker rating- to -amp wattage ratio is important. many smaller, cheaper practice amps have speakers that cant handle the watts that the amp gives out. like if the speaker rating is (random #'s) 70 w and the amp puts out 100 w, be carefull cuz u might blow the speaker. that happened to me :/ however i will add that my practice amp was butt. total butt.

just look up a review for your amp and see if people have had any problems with it :]

11. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Probably not, just make sure to go headstock first.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Hardy-Har-Har!

But wait, as stated above in 29 different ways, there's more:

Plug your bass into your little amp and play boy, play. If it sounds distorted ("farty"), turn down so as not to damage the speaker. If not, don't. :smug:

13. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    If your amp has a active / passive switch, use the active mode. if it still distorts too easily, reduce the volume and bass boost on the ATK eq.

For sound, a cheap amp can make anything sounds crap. A good amp can make even a cheap bass sounds great. Expect massive improvements once you get the real thing.

14. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    My first "amp" was a battery powered Harmony guitar amp. Made out of plastic. I took it to "band" practice and was laughed at. Good memories!!