1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would I get more volume with 4 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BackonBass13, Oct 22, 2013.

1. I'm playing a Markbass LMIII, through an 8 ohm 104HR. I'm wondering if 4 ohms is actually louder??

2. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
  3. Not a chance, the amp has plenty of power at 8ohm to fully drive the 8ohm cab.

4. No, it's much louder with the 8 ohm cab.

(because you can add a second one)

5. It depends. In this particular situation, you will notice a meaningful difference. The LMII/III is a great head, but its power management system results in a pretty hard limiting when you hit its maximum output. So, that, combined with your large, moderate sensitivity cab, would result in a meaningful increase in volume (not massive, but 2db is quite noticeable... remember db is a log scale), and (this is the important point) much less compression in the low end when pushed. It can be a life changer.

So, if you are 'almost loud enough', but get frustrated at the end of the night when you are pushing a bit, and you tend to hear your low end compress a bit, the identical cab in 4ohms would result in (IME) a meaningful improvement for you without having to carry more gear (like a second cab).

HOWEVER, if you get a DIFFERENT model of cab at 4ohms, then all bets are off, since the sensitivity of a different model would have to be taken into consideration (in other words, a cab that takes more watts to get as loud as your current cab to reach the same volume might 'eat up' the additional watts you would get from running your head at full power/4ohms.

As I've posted many times, you are best to ignore those posters who are taking about general absolutes (i.e., it never matters or it always matters). It depends on a complex combination of absolute wattage of the head, SPL/efficiency of the cabinet, mechanical capability of the drivers, and power management of the head in question.

6. +1

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    This. If you need a lot more volume, then it won't matter enough. However, if another little "push" will get you there, the same cab in 4 Ohms will do it.

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Will be trying this soon, with a 4 ohm Greenboy design, Bassic 15. It features a single, 4 ohm Faital 15, which, I've been told, has that old JBL K140 tone. We shall see.

9. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    That's a nice cab, and the driver is quite efficient IME.

10. THanks for the input talkbassers. Mucho appreciated. I guess what I'm ultimately going to do is get a single 8 ohm 15 (Markbass), my understanding is that the 2 cabs will then be running at 4 ohm. thats PLENTY of sound for my band. thanks again.

11. If you already have the 410, your best pairing is a second 410. Not a 115.

12. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966

Yeah, looking forward to trying this cab, but wondering what little, 5 lb, 500 watt micro head to use !

13. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    They should all have plenty of juice for that cab, but of the 500 watts/4 Ohms bunch, nothing hits harder than the the GK MB500
    IME. It even has the balls to coax my 15/6 into the sweet zone.

14. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    +1

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 again. Seriously, research this topic before you buy anther cab.

16. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    I have the MB200, and I'm not overly fond of the EQ; just not a GK fan in general, although the MB200 makes a great backup/headphone amp. Thinking about the TH 500, or one of the GB heads.

17. Yeah, with that one way cab with a touch of brightness at the top of the driver response, the TH500 (or even the little 350 which kicks like a mule at 4ohms) should sound great. Fat, warm, and a nice 'lower treble' response to bring out a bit of grind up top.

18. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Yeah, and since I have given the GB heads a try , more than once, ( :eek: ), the TH head seems an obvious choice.