1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would I just get used to it?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm anticipating a flame war for this, but it's a genuine concern of mine :D

I play rock and punk, but wear my bass quite high. I'm concerned that I look like a nerd. I don't think I've seen any rock and punk bassists wear their instrument as high as I do.

I lower my strap but it just feels awkward to play then.

Would I just get used to it?

2. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Since this is bass humor, here's a humorous solution. A neck up high for playing, and yet at the same time a neck down low for looks.

[​IMG]

3. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    :D

4. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I thought punk was all about going against the establishment?

Ever hear of the phrase conform not to conform?

5. Wear your strap at the same height as it's at whilst you're sitting. It's not cool to walk around when you're older with messed up hands. Look up mark king, does he look like a geek? Well, maybe. But no on cares because his music is great!
    Who cares if they care. I'm 14 and I think that wearing my bass high is cool, I do it because it's comfortable and because it's DIFFERENT to what everyone else does. Go AGAINST the flow, don't let yourself be swept along with it :D

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I wear mine in the middle. I'm against everybody.

7. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    I see bass players in punk bands all the time who wear their bass up around their nipples. Wear it high if you want. Wear it low if you want. Don't wear it in the middle, that's what the man wants you to do.

8. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Does this man look like a geek? :p

King_Mark_Level_42.

9. Wear your bass however you like. The cool thing about music is its individuality.

I play with my strap pretty high, and sometimes get crap from guitarist about it.

They shut up when I start playing.

There's also nothing cool about effing up your body. Trust me, comfort is ALOT more important than how cool you look.

10. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Lil' bit! But he can play some! That cancels it out :D

11. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    A geek's pits would be far hairier... just sayin. Seriously though, if there's one crowd you don't have to worry about looking cool in front of, it's the punk kids man. We're all just nerds in converse anyway.

12. Comfort wins: Up high, Down Low, or somewhere in the middle.

Peace,
    Greg

13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

And spiky bits! And flames! WANT!

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Heck yeah, I nipple ride. I am old school though, I hate nu-metal and al lthe kids swinging their guitars at their ankles.

I play a 6 string and I find it much more comfortable to play it way up high, as do many others, including John Myung.

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Tom Morello. Enough said.

16. Dymond-

Dymond-

Jan 26, 2011
    London, ON
    Aye. Wear suites and look well groomed, but play punk music. Thats what punk is all about right?

17. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Jason Black from Hot Water Music used to nipple-ride back in the day. While his strap may have elongated within the past few years, they've also become less badass.

18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    You're the one on stage. That already makes you 10x cooler than anyone else there.

19. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Tuck it under your chin like a violin it that's what works best for you. There's no code of conformity in the real punk world.

I wear mine fairly low and rarely use a pick and it is very comfortable that way. If I do use a pick, however, I find I prefer it much higher since I usually like to mute the bridge a little with the edge of my palm like a guitar player. If it's too low then I have to contort my right hand into an uncomfortable position to accomplish the muting.

20. Wear your bass anywhere you want but for the love of all that is good - pull your pants up! I'm not into the punk "scene" so maybe this doesn't apply but I can't stand seeing kids running around with their pants around their knees.

And stay off my lawn!