Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would I lose the Geddy growl if...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Hey.
    I'm thinking of getting a Geddy Lee bass later in the year. Big downside is I havn't actually had a chance to play one yet, other Jazz's obviously, but havn't tried out that super-slim neck yet. Anyone know anywhere in the UK I could try one out?

Anyway, the real question - If I were to replace the stock body (possibally to a Natural Alder rear-routed Warmoth) would I lose the 'Geddy Growl'?

I know the pickup config is slightly different on a Geddy (the bridge pickup is closer to the bridge right?). I'm guessing I would radically alter the tone, but would I lose the famous growl?

Thanks

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Part of that growl comes from the '70s style pickup spacing, the bridge pickup being closer to the bridge. If your new body had standard pickup spacing you would notice a difference in the tone; it wouldn't be as edgy.

3. so if I had a ash body with the old pickup spacing I should maintain the growl?

I would probably have to have that custom made right?

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What 's wrong with the alder body that comes with the bass? Why do you feel the need to change something you do not own and have naver played?

5. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Same as he said ^^

:D

6. Sorry I ment Alder body. I feel the need to change it because in terms of look and feel - I don't like a black bass and secondly I prefer rear-routed jazz basses.

7. I'm looking to keep the bass sounding exactly the same. I just want to modify it to my personal tastes.