Would I need a AB or ABY box to....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by degroove, Apr 29, 2003.

1. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I sometimes play fingerstyle and others slap. I need EQ change from the normal to one for slap.

My effects are: Boss TU-2 Tuner, SansAMp BDI, and a Rack MDX 2200 Compressor Pro (Stereo). My amp is an Ampeg B2R with Effects loop. To be purchased: EQ Pedal, AB Box?

I want to switch between two lines:

1. P-Bass -> Effect Loop Out -> TU2 -> SansAmp->Compressor -> Effect Loop In -> Amp

2. P-Bass -> EQ Pedal -> Compressor -> Amp

I have no idea how to switch between each path or how to run my line 2 back through the compressor. I also don't know if I need an AB or ABY box for switching.

Could you please help me figure out what I need to get this to work!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't understand.
    Where is your preamp in the chain #1 ?
  3. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    My pre-amp is built into my Ampeg B2R.

My instument goes into the amp directly with no effects in front. I forgot to state that.

The effects are all in my loop right now.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It still doesn't make sense.
    How do you send your signal from the Pbass to the EQ pedal in example 2 without using the effect loop then ?
    Also, you have effects hooked backwards.
    There is no sense in having a sansamp in the effect loop and a compressor after that.
    No reason neither to take the tu2 out of the game, since it doesn't hurt.
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
  5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Don't think an AB or ABY will help in this case, nor would a loop switch box. The only thing that would give you that type of switching capability is a rack mount digitally controlled switching system. Digital music has the GCX Guitar Audio Switcher, CAE has a similar product. They are very cool and very expesive. (You will also need a midi-controller foot pedal such as Ground Control Pro to run it.) Personally, I would put everything in line either in the loop or before the amp.
  6. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    set your tone on everything to suit you for fingerstyle, then turn on the EQ pedal and tweak that until you get a good slap tone. problem solved.