1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would I Need A Compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gatorben24, Apr 18, 2010.

1. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    So I'm looking into getting a Carvin B2000 which I believe has no compressor. I don't know much about compressor but I do know that the amp I have now has one built in. Anyways, I play with my fingers, in a quite heave rock band, and tend to get carried away sometimes and just beat the crud out of my strings.

So with that B2000 I'll be pushing 1300W into a 1200W cab and am quite afraid of blowing or distorting the speakers.

Would I need a compressor to help me reassure that I don't blow or make the speakers sound bad?

And I am aware of the volume knob. Will be using it wisely.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Check out the FAQ linked in my sig. :)

3. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    How often are you going to be using all 1300 of those watts? If the answer is 'never, it won't be turned up above half way' then you probably don't need a compressor. If the answer is 'all the time' then you need to start playing venues that have decent PA support.

If you find that you are clipping your amp, you could either turn down the gain control or buy a limiter.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Technically the volume knob has almost nothing to do with how many watts are being used. He could have the volume knob at halfway and still be putting out 1300 W. However this part is exactly right: