Would it be a crime......

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GreenMachine, Sep 30, 2005.

1. GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    hey. i recently (as in yesterday) changed from .105 to .100 strings but am not impressed with the 'E' chord and cant seem to get an 'A' out of the other one. So would it be so bad to take the 2 new strings out and put my old ones in so it went 105-95-60-40? I can get a wayyy better 'D' and 'G' outta the new ones so im happy with them.
  2. They won't stay in tune or what? It seems like a waste not to use the new strings.

Maybe you need to adjust the pickups a little bit to be closer to the E and A strings, or lower these strings.
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You probably need to adjust (increase) the relief in the neck to compensate for the lower tension of the new strings.
  4. GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    and how would i do those things guys :)

I cant even get an 'A' let alone keep it. no idea why. (yes the strings are in the right places lol)
  5. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    What do you mean by that? Does the note not sound out? Or can you just not tune it up to A?
  6. The low tension of the strings then. In all likely hood you would need to straighten the neck. Which would require tuss rod adjust. That is discussed fully in detail in the setup & repair forum. Where you will also see discussions of lower tension strings needing intonation setup. Once same setup & repair. You won't even need to post or search. It's all there.
  7. GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005