Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

would it be a good idea to do this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Jul 6, 2004.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I was looking around musicians friend and i came across the sbx series from GK. I was looking at their 2x10 model and found out its 8 ohms. Would i screw up my tnt 115 if i got this cab since its 8 ohms? And the tnt's minimum speaker input is 4 ohms? Or will i be ok. I was thinking of maybe getting the 210 sbx saving my pennies then getting a 115sbx and a 700rb II.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

You should be ok
    If the 115 of your Peavey combo is 8 Ohms (it most probably is) and the external/additional speaker is wired up parallel, then you will get 4 Ohms (R = 1/(1/8 + 1/8) = 4 Ohms), and more power. You would only be in trouble if the gk was 4 Ohms - then you would get lower impedance (1/(1/8 + 1/4) = 2,667 Ohms) which your amp would not be able to handle and it would overheat.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    when a speaker jack says "minimum speaker load" it means you shouldn't go LOWER than the rated value.

so you could use a 4,8,16 etc ohm cab. you could hook up two 8ohm cabs or one 4 or one 8.

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hmm i have another quesiton to add to that. It only has one plug in jack in the back to hook aother speaker into so how would i be able to hook up 2 8ohm cabs? That sounds like a good idea and im interested in how it would be down. Would i dazzy chain the cabs together? If so how would i? Thanks

Rob

5. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

The internal speaker is 4 ohms if i had another 4 ohm loud i would be at 2 ohms. Its on the peavey website and in the owners manual just to clarify that.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ok, I said that just in case you didnt know.

As for hooking up more than one additional cab, I dont think its necessary. it would make a whole lot to lug around, and you would still have nearly the same wattage, and nearly the same vollume.

As for daisy chaining, AFAIK most cabs have two jack on the back: one goes in, the other goes to the next cab, and they are wired parallel - but I'm no expert in this topic, wait for someone more knowledgeable than me ;)

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ok thanks alot for your help. I'd like a cab that dosnt need a whole lot of power to run because im only going to be useing 50 watts of the cab or there abouts if i hook it up with my tnt 115. Thats why i talked to marc at dr bass cabs. He emailed me and said his cabs arnt power hungry, does anyone else know of any cab that isnt power hungry? I could use the help and knowledge. Thanks

-rob