Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

would it be bad?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by funktastic, Nov 10, 2005.

1. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    Would it hurt the neck on my bass any by using two A's and two G's tuned standard? Les sets up his strings like that(not saying les is smart) but i was interested in that concept. thanks

2. It should work in theory, but you'd need a trussrod adjustment, as that would put significantly higher tension on the neck.

3. The tension might actually be a little less, or about the same, depending on the strings you use.

4. given the same strings...2 A's and 2 G's tuned EADG will give you less tension than a standard set...

this is because one A string will be detuned to E and one G string will be detuned to D...

why does Les Claypool do this? Why does he do ANYTHING he does? He's a deranged man... a very talented deranged man... but deranged...

I can't get into his music... just to strange for me...

5. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    So should i be ok? The strings i'm using are DR High Beams.

6. No, you're right. Dangit, I was thinking of the way that higher strings have higher tension and completely disregarded the fact that it's because they are tuned higher. I feel like an ass :meh: ;)