Would it be ok to defret this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Misanthropic, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Hello, talkbassers. This is my first post here, so nice to meet you all.

My question is about this old thingy:

Would it be possible to defret this? I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't mess with fingerboards that have a thick layer of finish on them...? This one does indeed have that.

I don't know what the wood is (my dad said it the neck/fretboard was beech...? I've never heard of beech on a bass, though).

By the way, it's an old japanese p-bass copy called Asama. If you guys know anything about the bass itself I would appreciate it too. :)
  2. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    the neck/fingerboard is most likely maple. Judging from the discoloration on the pickup, it's probably an 80s japanese copy. You could probably defret it if you had the patience. Go nuts.
  3. MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    And if you haven't yet... read the sticky on defretting in the
    "setup and repair" section.

Good Luck
  4. steve21

steve21 Banned

You can defret it with everything as normal, you just need some Tru-Oil Gun Stock to put it on the maple to keep it good.
  5. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    tru oil on a fretless board? might be possible, but I'm a bit skeptical about that. the maple DOES need a finish, but I would say you'd be better off with a more durable finish. I'd recommend after you defret it, take the old finish off, level the board to it's radius, and finish it with either a CA glue coating (I've done this and it works great) or maybe an epoxy coating like these: http://www.epoxyfretless.com/

EDIT: also, I'm 99.999% sure the neck and board are maple...probably not Beech, but as I'm not in Finland looking at the instrument in person, I cannot say for sure.
  6. somervell

Aug 13, 2005
    Brasstown, NC
    It will not look the greatest but can be done. The barbs from the frets will leave a jagged edge in the grooves. You will have to fill them with "lines"of some sort. .025 veneers some sort of material like rosewood or maple..
    West System epoxy finish would give you a very hard board and a good sound. Think about a replacement neck from one of the many suppliers of parts.. would be a lot easier and probably not too much more expensive even if you do the work yourself. Of course the challenge of the project can have value in and of it's self.
    Good luck.