1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would it be possible to change a pickguard without changing the strings?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by in the wind, Apr 7, 2009.

1. in the wind

in the wind

Dec 23, 2008
    Thank you, Michael

2. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    You should be able to depending on the bass. Why not just take the strings off? It only takes a minute.

3. in the wind

in the wind

Dec 23, 2008
    Because I don't know how to change the strings. Could you send me a link on how to do it? Thanks, M

4. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    I don't know of any link to it. Try Google. It's pretty easy. Just loosen the strings until they can come out of the tuners. You can leave them in the bridge end. Do the reverse once the new pickguard is on.

5. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    being able to change strings is a rather fundamental part of playing

6. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    I'm guessing you're pretty new to bass. Here are 2 links that are your friends. You should find about anything a newbie needs to know about setup with these -

Bass Guitar Strings FAQ

Electric Bass Guitar Setup Guide

Oh, congrats on your new MIM J and welcome to TB!

7. If it's a jazz bass then yes. Just take out the screws, lift up on the PG until it clears the neck pickup, and maneuver it around the neck and pickups until it's out.

8. in the wind

in the wind

Dec 23, 2008
    Thank very much for the links. Yes, I'm a real nOOb. I've only been at it for a couple of months. M

9. If you are going to play bass, you need to learn to maintain your bass. Changing strings (propely) and setting up the neck and bridge are simple things you need to learn. Yes you can change the guard without removing strings. How old is the bass? how old are the strings? Are you happy with that string type? Check out the links mentioned above.

10. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Hey, we all were at one time. I've been playing on and off for about 12 years and to be honest, I just learned to adjust my bridge for intonation about 2 months ago. The only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked.

11. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    "Need to"? Don't lecture the kid.

I didn't know any of this for years. I just took my bass to my neighborhood guitar tech. He tinkered with it; I played it. :cool:

12. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Glad I'm not the only one. But it's really quite easy stuff to do and can save you some $$.

13. If you're lazy like me, just take tension off the strings until they're very loose... Then just unscrew the bridge. That way you don't need to restring it. Just pay attention to where the strings are when you're putting it all back together.

14. Can you change pants without removing your shoes?

Sure you can. That's what I do when I arrive at the gym :)