Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would it be possible to put one of these on a bass that doesnt have one already?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Sep 15, 2005.

1. I dunno what its called but that black strip
    on the bass by the beginning of the neck. Could I put one on a bass that doesnt have one already? If so..where can I get one?

[​IMG]

2. That black strip is a thumbrest...as it is applied on this bass is a finger rest.

You can get them just about anywhere from Fender or suppliers...they cost about $8-$10 and are easily attached.

Note that if you don't play with your thumb, as it is affixed there, it serves no purpose. If you play with your fingers you may consider attaching it on top of the strings (there is a standard position for fender jazz basses, and the location instructions come with the part).

I put one on my wishbass, because me pickup sits so flush to the body that I don't get a good purchase for my thumb on it.
    I like it...for when I'm pedalling the E-string.

3. I've wondered why people have it on the wrong side of the strings...

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In the late 50s/early 60s , people played BGs like electric Jazz guitar - anchoring all your fingers at the bottom of the bass and plucking with your thumb.

If you see Brian Wilson - he still does this - or if you see any Beach Boys videos...

5. Now I know, thank you

6. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    yeah, that was definitely a bit of information i'm glad to have picked up.

7. I always thought it was sort of amusing to think of how perfect Leo Fender got the first electric bass, the Precision, and how it changed the world. But as perfect as he made it, he also thought players would play it with their thumb like the illustration suggests. Like Bruce said, they did for a little while but soon all of that went away and fingerstyle soon ruled.

8. Kind of like the 'Fosbury flop' in the high jump

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you're gonna put one on, think about putting it in a useful place.

If you check out the black fretless jazz in this pick, you can see that I've added both the covers and also the thumb-rest in the 'upper' position.

[​IMG]