Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would it be smart to get a power amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ardorx, Nov 27, 2004.

1. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    if I'm getting another cabinet? Right now i have a Genz Benz 410 and I'm planning on getting a 1x15. I don't have the best head (Behringer BX3000T) and i don't want it to crap out on me. I'm just not clear about all of this power amp stuff and what they do... :meh:
    If someone could:
    1. explain to me what they do
    and
    2. tell me weather or not it would be a good idea to get one.

any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    What impedance is your 4x10 and what is the impedance of the 1x15 you're going to get?

If they are not both 8 ohm you won't be able to run them both with your head.

I think getting a power amp is a great idea. I did the same thing when I owned a SVT-350. It is a step in the right direction if you want to eventually have a rack setup. Use the pre on your behringer for now, then when You have the cash find yourself a nice used preamp.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Power amps feed the watts to your bass cab.

Basically all you need is an speaker cable to hook up your cab to it, you also need a pre amp for example a sansamp rbi, bbe bmax, ampeg svp pro.

Those are the 2 componets that make a regular bass head.

Lets use your behringer head for example.

You know all the knob thingies and bass, mid, high things you use to alter your sound? well thats the pre amp.

The 300 watts it puts our at 4 ohms is the power amp.

Getting a pre/power amp setup is a good idea because it gives you uber wats for a nice price and it lets you be more versitle tone wise.

You might also want to pick up a rack case to put a power amp and a pre amp in.

Like skb,gator,or an ATA flight case thing.

4. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    i'm actually planning on making a rack. the impendance on both of the cabs is 8 ohms. what would be a cheap but reliable power amp? and should i also get a preamp too?

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    The problem you mentioned with your head potentially "crapping out" comes when you try to squeeze so much volume out of an underpowered head that you force it to clip, which will damage your speakers. Carvin and QSC both make inexpensive power amps that pump out significantly more volume than your current Behringer, and if your Behringer has a line out, you can use a bigger power amp to drive your cabs rather than the internal power amp in your current head (see previous posts). Just make sure you're making the right connections before you fire it up (people here who know more about Behringers will be able to answer more questions than I). With two 8 ohm cabs, the overall impedance of your cabs together is 4 ohms, so when you're comparing power amps, look for the output wattage at that impedance.

6. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    appreciate it man.

7. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    hey, your kinda in the same boat i am. i have a peavey mark iv, 210 watts and i run a 2x10. i bought a power amp and will use that and a the peaveys pre untill i can get a pre amp, and im gunna get a 1x15 to put under my 2x10. Then i will put it all in a rack case.

its a smart thing to do, i cant wait till my power amp gets here!

8. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    do yall think i should get a preamp too?

or do i have to...?

9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Assuming your Behringer has a line out that can be fed into the power amp, you do not need a preamp. Preamps only change the character of your tone, and you sounded like you were primarily concerned with volume, which a power amp would more than cover. If you like the way your head sounds now, you should be fine without another preamp.

10. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
  11. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
  12. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    yea, i was kinda thinkin that wouldn't do the trick. But I think I'm going to go with the QSC RMX 850. It's not that expensive and it puts out more than enough power. Thanks. :)

13. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I have the RMX 850 and I am really thinking I should have gotten the 1450...

14. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    So running an external power amp to the line out of my amp will bypass the heads power amp completely? Could this cause any damage to the head after awhile? Then I would just hook up my cabs, 4X10 & 1X15, to the back of the head as usual using those controls? My main and backup amp, Ashdown Evo 500 R/C & GK1001RB1, each about 500watts or so, have plenty of power for most gigs but outdoors I seem to need more power and would just like to have the added headroom anyway. Thought about getting a QSC 1400 for that use. My two bands never run anything but vocals and kickdrum thru the PA, so I have to push some big air against sax, 2 gitars & drums. Thanks, E.

15. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Hey man. Humble eh? My band plays out there sometimes at Fuel??? and we're playing in spring on the 17th. But anyways. I was kinda wondering the same thing. For the most part, I understand the whole poweramp thing, so now, i don't know what I was going to say...but yea.

I think just run line out from your head, to the line in on the power amp and then run your speakers from the power amp.

is that right? If it is, I understand it.

ardor

16. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Is it not loud enough or what?

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Is your amp clipping before you get loud enough?

If not, then you have enough power.

18. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    on some heads, when the "limit" light comes on, does that mean it's clipping? if so, how can i prevent that?

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it depends on which head and where the "limit" light is. Some heads have limit or clip indicators on the preamp section and a sperate one on the poweramp section. But yeah, if a limit light comes on for the poweramp you're just starting to clip. How do you prevent that????? Turn down. :p
    you can also try cutting the bass frequencies as well.

20. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    running the line out of your head won't bypass the poweramp of your head. you can run cabinets off of your head and the external poweramp at the same time. If you only run cabinets off of the external poweramp your head's poweramp should be fine as long as it's solid state YOu can double check with your amp's manufacturer to be 100% sure, but i havent seen any solid state units that get damaged from being on without a load. If you do that to an amp with a tube poweramp section, kiss it goodbye.