1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

would it be stupid for me to get another bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass guy, Aug 22, 2007.

1. bass guy

bass guy

Apr 17, 2006
    ive havent been palying for the longest time about 2 years and i bought i standard MIM fender jazz 8 months ago. now im thinking of either getting an acoustic bass, hofner icon, squire fretless, geddy jazz bass. do u think its to short of time to get one after another in such a short amount of time. if u think it isnt which should i get

2. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    depends on if you can afford it. If you have some money to blow do it. If your strapped, chill with the jazz for a while. Its a good bass.

3. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    i bought my 2nd bass 2 months after my first. 4 more basses later its always a good idea to get a bass.

there perfect to celebrate any occasion. birthdays? get a bass! holidays? bass! payday? bass! weekday? bass! weekend too for that matter..

never justify a bass purchase, just make it. quickly

4. Yeap - take a look at your financial situtation first, make sure you can handle unexpected expenses like your car breaking down and needing repairs, etc.

I bought two basses with in a period of 8 days - mostly because they were limited run Japanese Fenders not listed in the Fender catalogs at the time.

I got a little crazy once when I was making decent money - I bought seven basses in four years. I still have all of them and play them. If I had that money now I would have probably bought another four or five basses by now. :rollno: But I'm single with no kids, etc, etc, etc. I'm trying to get most of my GAS out of my system before I find a girl and get married. :)

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You're asking a bunch of bass players if your should get another bass?:eyebrow:

6. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California

heh heh heh, good point.

I'd say: no. I didn't get a second bass until 5 years after I started. It was a big step up, too: an Ibanez GSR190 (the starter pack bass) to a Carvin Icon 5, and I'm glad I waited and saved, the Carvin is a great bass, and much better than the ones I considered buying when I was in your situation.

7. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    What amp are you using? A new rig will make a world of difference compared to a new bass if you're playing on a bad amp. :)

8. IMO you don't need another bass BUT it would be good to have one. I currently have 2 basses. I feel 3 or 4 is a good number. If you are strictly a 4 stringer, stay with those. If you like both 4 and 5 string It's always good to have a 5'er on hand (or 2). Acoustic basses don't quite do it for me. I had a Tacoma for several months but I never got much use out of it. I always was reaching for an electric for home practicing.

As for the Geddy, it's a very giggable bass just do a search. That would definitely be a step up.

9. It's always better to spend money on instruments than on partying, clubing, drinking, buying drugs... There are many reasons to blow your money on a bass!!!!! Do it.

10. bass guy

bass guy

Apr 17, 2006
    i play on a peavey 100 watt amp. maybe i should get something for my amp instead

11. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    + 0.75

Save a little bit of cash for the "partying" though, won't you?

:D

Seriously though, Gear Accquisition Syndrome (a.k.a. GAS) seems to be a natural part of bass playing for the majority of people. Buying new equipment won't necessarily make you a better bassist in a shorter time, but if you can afford it without going into debt, it may help to keep your enthusiasm somewhere around "fever pitch" :D .

My only advice to you would be to try and buy used gear as often as possible. It takes a lot of the "pain" out of selling it on, once you tire of it (which nearly always happens at some point ;) ).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

:bassist:

12. I say buy it and be happy, you only live once. If my wife can buy shoes every other week at $80.00 a pair, I can buy a bass every 6 months or so.

13. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    It is never stupid to get another Bass, especially if you buy quality. I will never have enough of them. I just love playing them and looking at them. My basses are my mistress at least the little woman knows where I am at night 8^)