Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would it be tasteless to peform a Manson song?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Scottie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    Question: With my band, which is back in gear now after 5 years, is going to be choosing some covers. Well, I usually sing a few, we take turns singing alot. I was kind of wondering would it be tasteless to play "Look At Your Game Girl" by Charles Manson . I love the song. GNR even covered it back in the early 90s. I just dont wanna be too, too tasteless.

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    mneh, no one will get it. Do what feels right. Follow my motto: F*** 'em if they can't take a joke.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Charlie Manson is not a real funny joke if your from my generation. Younger people don't seem to get it, but, this is a free country. Some will find it tasteless, others are oblivious.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    List the lyrics...

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I don't mean any disrespect at all in re: to what he did. But to be fair, I had to check wicki to get the full picture. You're right, it's not funny at all, but what I was saying is that depending on who you're playing to, they may not get that it's a charles manson song.

I wasn't making light of murder.

6. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Cake and Sodomy by Marilyn Manson would probably ruffle more feathers. :)

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Or in the same vein: anything by MSI :bassist:

8. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    There's a time for livin'
    The time keeps on flyin'
    Think you're lovin' baby
    And all you're doin' is cryin'
    Can you feel? Are those feelings real?
    Look at your game girl
    Look at your game glrl
    What a mad delusion
    Livin' in that confusion
    Frustration and doubt
    Can you ever live without
    The game
    The sad sad game
    Mad game
    Just to say you love is not enough
    If'n you can't be true
    You can tell those lies baby
    But you're only foolin' you
    Can you feel are those feelin's real
    Look at your game girl
    Go on look at your game girl
    If'n you can't feel
    And the feelin's ain't real
    Then you better stop tryin'
    Or you're gonna play cryin'
    Stop tryin' or you're gonna play cryin'
    That's the game
    Sad sad game
    Mad game

That being said, I dont see anything offensive in the lyrics. However, I can understand that those from the generation before mine may not appreciate the song too much. I was born shortly after the Manson murders, so obviously I didnt get to follow it on Fox News or CNN like we watch news now...

I dont, and I repeat.. DONT .. want to encourage those young kids who seem to idolize Manson and worship him. I take him for what he was.. a crazy son of a b***** who wrote some cool tunes.

But what would this be comparable to for my generation?

Playing a Scott Petersen song? lol

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Like I said do what you wish, but speaking as someone who would find it tacky, it the same principal(sp) as letting people write books and sell them out of prison. His words are a lot less offensive than many many popular bands. The thought of him being glorified in any manor gives me the willies.
    But I'm not going to tell you what you can and can't do. I can just say some people would find it upsetting.

When I say his words, I mean his songs,when he still speaks out you should hear him.

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    No Scott Peterson would not be comparable. Those were very burtal murders. The forum rules would not let me tell you what they did to Sharon Tate and her unborn child.

11. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    We play Helter Skelter to much enjoyment by all. Not sure if it's a Manson, Beatles or U2 song though. I know it has something to do with him.

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Your kidding!
    It's the Beatles off the White album. That's the Album that Charlie Manson thought the Beatles were speaking to him through. Helter Skelter is what Manson called the race war he tried to start w/ the murders. I believe U2 played it and said " Manson stole this from the Beatles and we're taking it back".

13. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I was kinda close :hyper:

14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    The book about Manson was titled Helter Skelter.

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've read the book and watched countless things about it on TV. Charles Manson and his "family" were very sick people.

16. Well, If you look at it. Technically he didn't actually kill anyone with his own two hands...

When I first saw this thread I thought... "Marilyn Manson? Sure, as long as you know what the lyrics mean and who your singing to. The song "Antichrist Superstar" may not be appropiate to a group of christian rockers..."

Most people today are pretty braindead to old songs and most likely won't think twice about that song (besides the couple of smart folks who will notice...).

AxtoOx, what happened to Ms tate was indeed a bit much...

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You're just doing a song, it ain't like you're writing "pig" on the wall with someone's blood.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Exactly!

19. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Do you really want to go there?
    He didn't get the death penelty for writing songs. Do some research.
    Hitler didn't kill any Jews either. That is w/ his own 2 hands.

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Well, he didn't.