1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would it be terribly cliche to....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by McHack, Oct 18, 2006.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've been pondering getting a tattoo for years now... I've never gone ahead, for many reasons.

But, I had an idea. Ya know the Red Hot Chili Peppers logo... the big asterisk * lookin thing? Cliche tat, cool tat...

2. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    well i think it would have been cool when blood sugar sex magic came out.....but now i would think it's lame....

but if you think it's cool then go for it!

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

If it has significance for you thats all that matters. ;)

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I used to want that when i was sixteen, but I think the conventional wisdom is never get a band's logo on your body. It's kinda like the stones in the 60s...just a bad idea.

Then again, if it's important enough to you... well, who listens to conventional wisdom anyway? right?

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Good perspective checks... yea, i just thought it looked cool, & it really doesnt MEAN anything to me, per se...

the search continues...

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Don't get a tat for the sake of getting a tat.

Think about it, sleep on it for a year, and if you still think it's a good idea, ink it.

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Inactive

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Be very careful. If I had gotten tattoos I wanted just a couple years ago, I would be kicking myself right now.

I think tattooing is a great artform but too many people these days are just getting tattoos just for the sake of getting tattoos, and in many instances it has become a cliche. Which is a shame because it gives people who are actually into tattooing as an actual art form a bad name.

Point in example: All these girls with Lower Back Tattoos (A.K.A the Tramp Stamp).

For the most part, you can usually tell the differences between those who get tattoos just to have one, and those interested it in for real.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm planning on getting my first (and probably only) tattoo soon, mind if I PM you with a few questions in terms of what I can expect when it's healing?

9. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Healing process should be fine.. they tell you exactly how to take care of it before and after they ink you, process isn't really that painful (less painful that popping a really big pimple i'd say), but it all depends on where you get it.. as for like the healing again... uhh.. you tak ethe bandage off, and voila, yuou have ink in you :p if there are any problems (irritation), i'd suggest calling the parlor you get it at or whatnot. No offense to major metal, just that if he isn't a professional tattoo artist, while he may know some things, it's their JOB to know these things :)

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    If I got a tattoo it would probably be some sort of music related tattoo. That's the only one that would make sense.

11. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    if i was to get a tattoo i'd use my back as billboard and get paid for it, it'd be amazing.
    but i don't see my skin as a canvas as any kind, so i won't actually be doing that.

but some tattooes are pretty cool, but yeah make sure u really know what u want. try and think if you'd still like it when ur 50, or if it's gonna effect you choices of jobs

12. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    I thought about getting the opeth symbol tattooed on my arm a few years back. Then i realized it was a stupid idea and that everyone and their mother has an opeth tattoo and i would look like a foo.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Big +1 On that.

I've been thinking about getting a tatoo in the shape of the bird on the Gibson Thunderbird pickguard, but I'm not passionate about it enough right now, so who knows how I'll feel about it in two years? How about ten?

If you can't commit to something with complete conviction, better not have it done at all.