1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

would it be worth it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrniceguy715, May 8, 2006.

1. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    I'm fairly new to bass. I bought johnson j-style bass from a co-worker. after replacing the strings with nickel fenders and did a little bet setting it up it sounds alright. would it be worth it to try to upgrade the pick ups or should I save and put a nicer used bass in lay away. was looking at a koa peavy unity.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    If you think that you will be able to save up some cash for a nicer bass, I would do that.

But if cash is kind of hard to come by I would maybe look at doing some minor upgrading, depending on what I thought the bass needed.

What is wrong with it as it is now?

:D

Joe.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd suggest to leave it as is for now. You say you're new to bass, so over the next 6 months or so, as your playing and taste matures, you'll start hearing what you like and don't like. Also, during that time, you'll no doubt be hearing and trying out other basses and forming an opinion. Then you'll be able to make an informed decision.

Probably the weakest link in your bass now is the stock pickups. A pair of good upgrade pickups, say, Basslines, would cost about $90 and would, no doubt, improve the sound. But, I suspect that besides the sound, over the next while you'll begin to find that bass to be less comfortable to play so you won't be happy that it only sounds good. You could then remove the pickups and return it to stock and use it for a bit of trade in credit and sell the pickups for close to what you paid for them, but is it worth all that effort?

If you're a dedicated tinkerer it may be.