1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would It Be Worth My Time and Money To Make a Ric?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dubadays, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    I really like the sound that the Rickenbacker 4003 makes. I LOVE it. Unfortunately, I have no way of trying one, so everything everyone says about how terrible the neck is, is practically useless info to me. If I were to hate the neck once I try one, do you think it would be worth it to make my own (I have a fairly good payin job over the summer, but I would definitely not want to end up spending all my money just on something that could turn out awful)? Also, what would I need to know to replicate the sound? (Don't say pickups, same wood, or same electronics, because those are all pretty obvious to me.) Or, should I not bother, and just buy a Ric? I mean really, are the necks that bad?

2. Wait, what?

3. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    I'm thinking of making my own homemade Ric basically.

4. mrtn400

mrtn400

Dec 6, 2008
    Carmichael, CA
    I've been thinking about cloning my dad's 4000, since they don't make 4000s any more and a 4003 is way out of my price range. I figured I could build one for under $500.

I was going to:
    • Buy a real pickup from Ric or eBay.
    • Use the same wood.
    • Wire it the same.
    • Use the same construction methods (in this case a set neck).
    • Make it the correct scale (33 1/4").
    • Put the pickup in the right spot (in your case pickups; and you'd want them at the fictional 24th and 36th frets).

5. Oh, okay.

Where did you hear that about Ric necks? I think they're fantastic necks.

And hey, if you can build one, do it. More power to you.

6. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    I've heard that from several people here, as well as a salesman I was talking to (it was Guitar Center though....). I mean, I can't imagine them being that bad to the pooint where the sound isn't worth it.

7. That's ridiculous, don't buy that crap from anybody.

They're not for everybody, but they're not bad in the least.

8. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Direct quote from the salesman "I think the people that uses Rickenbackers are sacrificing play style just for the sound". I don't know who to believe!!!!!! lol

9. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Not a problem with a 4003 besides the sides of the bass itself. They dig in to my arm. I spent a good amount of time playing one in a local GC. The tone didn't seem to be my thing through the Markbass combo I was using, but neither did a P... which is my favorite sound out there.

10. Vlasco

Vlasco

Aug 23, 2006
    North Dakota
    I can play more than fine on my Ric. I like its feel more than most every other bass I've played. That's why it's the only bass that stays consistent in my arsenal.

11. mrtn400

mrtn400

Dec 6, 2008
    Carmichael, CA
    I bet the salesman was just saying that because they don't carry Rickenbackers.

I personally don't believe anything I hear from salesmen, since whatever they say is probably meant to push you to buy something from them.

12. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Which is probably why he was trying so hard to force a P-Bass on me :D. Yeah, he said he owned one, and he hated the neck, but I'm sure he's probably trained to say stuff like that.

13. Screw that guy.

He supposedly owned a Ric, and hated the neck. Therefore, you also must hate the neck.

Next time anybody tells you something like that, let whatever else they say go in one ear, and right out the other.

14. Rickenbacker & CG stopped doing business with each other years ago. Rickenbacker just doesn't buy into the whole guitar supermarket concept. IOW, they will not authorize a Chinese factory churning out $199 wannabees, so Guitar Center can feature them at their yellow tag sale-of-the-century/week. However, Musicians Friend...same parent company...carries them, for people who want...& can afford...the $$$, & possible wait times.

I own a bunch of basses, including a 4001. Ricenbackers are unique...their character & sound take a back seat to no other mfr. They're not cheap...but no other bass...knock-offs included...can give you the feel of the real thing.

15. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Whatever you heard about Ric necks being crap is ludicrous. Can you give us details as to what specifically you were told about their necks?

16. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Nah. I can't really remember exactly what he said about it, but he just said it was uncomftortable

17. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Get your wallet out if you plan to do this. Ric parts arent cheap.

Pickups $225-$300 (for both)
    Wiring harness $60
    Stereo output $20
    Knobs $20
    Pickguard $60
    Bridge $75 (just the bridge not the tail piece)
    Tailpiece $175
    Tuners $75
    Truss rod cover $200 (used when you can find them)

So a total for just this $910-$985

I personally think you would be better off picking up a used Ric

18. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    lol, I could pay that pretty easy. Especially compared to the fact that the cheapest used Ric I have seen is $1700

19. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Yeah you could but you still have a neck, body, fingerboard, inlays, frets, truss rods, finishing, etc. Not to mention the time you would put in. I personally don't think you would get to much in return if you decided to sell it. If you look and wait you can find deals on them both new and used. I just bought a new '09 for $1695 out the door. You just have to look

20. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    You might as well just buy a brand spankin new one....they're around $1950