Would like info about my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Mike Carr, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I've been enjoying this board for several months now and have only recently began posting. I'm always interested in anything concerning double bass, this seems to be "the place" for that. Some of you are quite entertaining as well!
    My question is this, I own, play and love a carved top german bass. I got it from my first double bass teacher here in California and he doesn't know much about it's history. What he could tell me is that he got it from T.V. evangelist Robert Shuller's Crystal Chathederal, it was sitting unused and a storage closet, apparently it had been donated by a former parishioner many years ago for use in their music ministry. Now, years later they employ a pretty good sized orchestra, ironicly, it's one of the few weekly T.V. gigs left in town, Barry Cogert, my friend and former teacher plays in it and he was able to get the bass in exchange for a "donation", the dollar value unknown to me.
    It's a good sounding and well set-up bass that I use mostly for jazz, right now it's wearing orchesteral Spriocores and a Realist, sometimes a KK Bass Max too.
    The top is carved, the back and sides are plywood, the back and sides sport a nice "flame" detail, as does the neck. The neck is finished with a glossy subtance, that I've gotten used to dealing with. It might be a bit sticky, but boy does it shine, in fact the overall look of the bass could be described as "shinny"!
    The label reads, Georg Anton Schuster
    Wien Anno 1788
    Made in Germany
    An ink stamped serial # reads 1113
    I don't read German but I can't imagine that this bass was made in 1788. More like 1948 I suppose.
    If anyone can give me anymore info about this bass, regarding it's makers (or factory's) history and what it might be worth, no I don't want to sell it, it's my only double bass and my gigging instrument. I'd like any info, just to know more about my instrument.
    Thank you to all of you in advance.
    Mike Carr, Los Angeles, California
  2. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    1788??? I would be interested in knowing when the first plywood bass was made, or plywood back and sides for that matter, I don't really know but was under the impression that instruments made with plywood were relatively newer, anyway it sems like you got a nice bass.
  3. Hello Mike :)

The way I read the sticker is that the bass
    is a copy from a Schuster bass.
    Remember Wien is Vienna in german
    and is not a part of Germany but Austria !

Who is Schuster ? I don´t know as I also
    have searched for a Schuster but a Adolf
    who made my bow...

Best of luck !
  4. Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    Can't help you on your bass, but when you run into barry tell him Tim Givens says hello.
  5. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I'll be sure to do that. I was strictly a Fender guy until about seven years ago, I didn't know an up bow from a down bow and could barely read until I started taking lessons from Barry. I was with him for about a year and a half and learned a great deal. He let me take the bass home at no charge until I could afford to pay him for it, which took some time.
    I now make my living playing and about 90% of my work is on double bass. I have Barry to thank for that. He is a wonderful player both in jazz and legit stuff too. John Clayton was one of his teachers.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Geigenmacher - Violin Builder
    Wein - Vienna (Austria)
    Does it say "Made in Germany" or are you saying that?
    There is a Rudolf Schuster in Germany that you may want to contact:

Schuster, Rudolf
    1a, Siemensstrasse
    Baiersdorf, 91083

Phone: 49- 0 9133 2335
    Fax: 49- 0 9133 789926

good luck!!!
  7. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    The sticker reads just as I listed it. Says "made in Germany" in english. Thank's for the guys info in Germany.
  8. robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA

I've been keeping my eyes open for a double bass teacher with good recommendations for a little while now. When I read your post, I did a quick search for Barrie Cogert (to see if he had a web page or something). I see he is part of the Eddie Reed Swing Quintet, but didn't find a link to him directly.

If you think he can take on an additional student, could you e-mail his contact info to me? I play big band swing too, so based on your post and his playing experience, I'd love to get in touch with him.

9. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Check your e-mail for Barry's info.
  10. bassaunt

Dec 20, 2004
    I have one of the same, except it is not plywood... and it is very short about 5'1" total height.. I paid 70.00 for it and am in restoration phase... any suggestions?
  11. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    If you guys Post several detailed Pics of these Basses we can help you Identify them to a degree.. Labels don't mean much over the phone or on line. Seeing the Bass can tell us if the Label Matches or is from a different Bass or is a copy or a fake...
  12. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    Hey Ken
    What about giving a discount in a smith bass to everyone on Talbass? :D
    I would like one!!!!