1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would love to be reunited with my old '62 pbass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by charlemagne, Apr 17, 2010.

1. charlemagne

charlemagne

Nov 5, 2003
    Vermont
    Total longshot!!! ......

I had a '62 candy apple red pbass back in the day. My first real bass, bought in 1970 for $100! A lot of money then!!

Here are the atrocities I committed:

I had a curly maple fretless fingerboard put on.

I took the finish off (it was "worn", lol!!) and refinished it with a medium natural stain. It had a tortoise shell pickguard.

I did these things in the 70's so maybe the statute of limitations is past and I can be forgiven! At least I traded 'up' to a 1976 Stingray. :)

I sold it in New Haven, CT through Guitars Unlimited, where I once worked. If anyone knows where this bass is, I'd like to know too.

I did love this bass and played a zillion gigs with it.

2. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    It's probably hiding from you. :help::ninja:

3. charlemagne

charlemagne

Nov 5, 2003
    Vermont
    Old P basses are smarter than most!:)

4. LOL! We tended to do stupid stuff like that in the seventies. :rollno:
    My first "new" bass was a '69 Telecaster which I ended up refinishing to a, (get this), purple sunburst around '73. It actually looked very good as it was done by a friend who was a graphic artist. I then replaced the pickup with a Gibson Humbucker (Whhhaatttttt?):eek: Luckily, I traded it for a '65 P Bass, which ended up being traded for a newly released '78 "Stingray". It doesn't end there, but that's as far as I can take it without making myself sick! :)

5. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    How long ago did you sell it? It's possible that someone bought it to restore it and put a rosewood board on it and refinished it. If it wasn't an early 60's Precision it probably wouldn't happen but since it is a desirable bass it is likely to get a restoration.

6. charlemagne

charlemagne

Nov 5, 2003
    Vermont
    I sold it around '77. Nothing would please me more than to know someone restored it. It was a 1962, with a great neck, rosewood board, etc.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I took sandpaper to an old Stratocaster's maple fingerboard.

But that was a guitar.

8. Someone made a generic instrument personalized?

DAMN THEM TO HELL!!!