1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would love to get an upright bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by kevcooke, May 5, 2006.

1. Hey, I wanna get an upright bass and I've tried reading through the newbies sticky but so many posts are just littered with "dont go chinese bass" or "get this, it's rediculously expensive" which i don't want to spend too much being an absolute beginner.

When my band plays acoustic, we sound very Counting Crows/Grateful Dead, and I like to play jazz (miles davis, charlie parker( from time to time too. Can someone suggest me a cheap upright bass that would be good for playing these styles. I live in the UK, so a make that is easily to get hold of in the UK would be great.

Many thanks, Kev

2. Look for an inexpensive plywood bass made in Eastern Europe, prob gonna be Romania, brand name not so important, as most come out of same one or two factories.

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Yup, that's it, get yee to the bass shops near you and play whatever plywoods they have, take home the one that makes you feel good. Bringing an experienced player or teacher along can make a huge difference. Make sure you get at least a few lessons in with a db teacher.

Good luck!

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Don't rule out all Chinese made basses. Just Palatino and Cremona. :rolleyes:

5. Ok thanks for the feedback :) I'll see what I can find, and will post pics when I get something!

6. steve in tampa

steve in tampa

Jan 11, 2006
    Check out Englehardt and Strunal

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I got a used Christopher plywood that my teacher is impressed with.