1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would lower tension strings help me?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brushfirewolf, Jun 2, 2020.

1. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I just received a stingray 5 I bought as B stock. Long story short- the neck is still bowed and the truss rod is not tightening any further, even with pressure applied pulling back the headstock. The company I got it from is not returning calls, emails, or messages. Assuming I may be stuck with it.

Was thinking of trying a string change. Don't like the gauge or feel of the factory strings anyway. I assume a lower tension string would take pressure off the neck and relieve that bow a bit. Is this the case? Could a lower tension set, over time, actually allow the neck to reset a bit and the truss rod to be tightened again?

2. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Before you go changing strings, let's explore your purchase. Don't assume you are stuck with this bass. Who did you buy it from? Was it though eBay or Reverb? How did you pay for it? PayPal or credit card? All of these have some level of protection from an unscrupulous dealer who sells you a defective bass and then ghosts you. Jump through their hoops and get your money back.

3. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Reverb. Paid with a credit card. They don't even carry guitars in their store front I don't believe. This shipped out of their warehouse in another state. I mean they could argue that it's not defective but the fact is the neck is bowed, the truss rod won't budge, and the action is still higher than 3mm. It's completely unplayable for my style.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  4. gln1955

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    There are folks around here who have experience with Reverb's dispute resolution. I don't. Hopefully they will chime in soon and give you advice about how to proceed.

5. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Right on. For now let's hypothetically say I'm stuck with it. What effect would the lower tension strings have? Surely a piece of wood would straighten back up with tension let off of it. You can watch this happen if you give your tuners a few CCW turns. Maybe the string gauge/tension does not have that much of an effect. No idea, that's what brought me here. Perhaps this belongs more in the setup section.

6. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    And considering where this bass was shipped from, I'd be willing to bet that someone bought it, returned it (all tuned up- strings tight) and then it sat in their warehouse for up to a year until they sold it to me as B-stock.

7. gln1955

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Yes, lower tension strings will give you a straighter neck. It will limit the strings you can use and it still might not be enough to get the action you want. It's a hack you shouldn't have to do.

8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    ...and yes, if it’s the very same string other than gauge, all else being equal, a lighter gauge will get you less tension.

9. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    As a B-Stock, is it still under warranty? Because if it is, I would return it.

trickyric likes this.
  10. Instead of assuming anything at this point, my suggestion would be for you to loosen the strings on the bass in question and let it sit for a day or two to see if the neck will in fact respond to the reduced tension or not. If it doesn't, it may mean it has a permanent warp that can't be cured simply by switching to strings with less tension.

11. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Thanks I was thinking of this. I loosened them yesterday when I packed it back up for the return. Just pulled it out now and it appears to be perfectly straight with that tension off.

I could always swap a set from another bass on to see if that helps. These factory strings are heavier than I like and sound a little muddy. Have some light gauge DR sunbeams that I can try.

pcake, HolmeBass and michael_t like this.
  12. Would you be able to tighten the truss rod at this point to force a slight back bow?

TomB likes this.
  13. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Not yet. I don't want to force it any further as it still feels very tight. Maybe I should back off it a bit and let it sit another day?

14. Maybe it would be best not to force things at this point.

Meanwhile, make sure you understand the difference between "tension" as in pulling weight and "tension" as in stiffness/flexibility. Some strings are known for their "flexibility" but that doesn't necessarily mean they have less pulling weight. Choose your next set of strings according to their actual pulling weight.

pcake, HolmeBass, Inara and 1 other person like this.
  15. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Not sure about the differences in pulling weight between these 2 sets, but the bass shipped with 45-130 EB Super slinkies and I'm swapping them out for 40-120 DR sunbeams. Will report back.

Thanks so much for the help.

16. If you bought this through Reverb, then you can return it for a refund. Contact Reverb and explain the situation. If you got stiffed then they will help you out. Good luck.;)

17. From EB Slinky 45-130 to Sunbeam 40-120 is a step in the right direction.

brushfirewolf likes this.
  18. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Light gauge sunbeams have been my go-to recently. Still waiting on a set of hi-beams in the same gauge to arrive. Been wanting to give them a shot for a while now.

19. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    you can drop tuning a half or whole step for now ...

i found GHS pressurewounds lites ..! to be pretty low tension ...

not trying to be daft ... but are you turning the truss nut the correct direction .? will it move either direction ..??

i'd try to return it ..? unless it's just to good of a deal ..?? then maybe a repair shop could fix things up .?

just got a set of Ti jazz rounds ... lowest tension rounds i've ever felt ..!! but .. $$$$..!!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Clutchcargo and brushfirewolf like this.
  20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    My big EBMM fanboy opinion is you'll really want to keep trying for a resolution. Yes, lighter tension is obviously less load pulling the neck forward. But the reason you wanted a Ray is the heavy punch and sparkle so don't give up.

Thegrandwazoo and brushfirewolf like this.