1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would one of these be decent for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dmonroe, Jan 16, 2012.

1. dmonroe

dmonroe

Jun 16, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these basses. I know a lot of people here frown on painted basses my concern is more about the quality. Something like this would actually be in my price range. Otherwise I was considering a NS EUB.

ROCKABILLY PAINTED UPRIGHT BASS WELL SETUP GORGEOUS!! | eBay

2. No. Get the NS.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yes, it's perfectly fine. You can be confident, because there are two exclamation points.

4. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    :)

5. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    Get neither and keep waiting and saving up.

6. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
  7. The OP did pitch the question as an either/or proposition. I agree that the best answer is always to wait for the deal that you can't say no to, but that wasn't the question we were asked.

8. bassburner

bassburner Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2008
  9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
  10. bassburner

bassburner Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2008
    A previous post from Tom noting that they switched to Shen's from Milano's and the model number is SB instead of MB.

But, if the SB80 is the place to start then ignore my newbie comments. :cool:

11. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Ask Tom if that bass is actually made by Shen, and if so, why is it so much cheaper than the SB80. To start, it does not have an ebony board like the SB80 and he wants $295 for a setup (bringing the price up to $1k, and a real ebony board is well worth the $500 in the long run)...chances are the tuning machines and endpin are lesser, too. Talk to Bob Ross in Denver and see what he has, if you are looking.

12. dmonroe

dmonroe

Jun 16, 2010
    Augusta, GA
  13. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Tell upton your transitioning from electric to upright, and that you need an action you can work with and raise over time.

Upton is a great shop. Always try before you buy if possible.

14. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    It doesn't sound like you've played many basses so I recommend doing that to get an idea what you might be looking for. Shen makes some nice basses for the money but it still may be a shot in the dark for you. Windshield time can be worth it.

15. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I think there's a shop in Georgia with Upton Basses. Call Upton.

16. dmonroe

dmonroe

Jun 16, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Actually I've played NONE.......No uprights anyway. I've just always loved the sound of them.

Maybe the smart way to go before spending a bunch of money would be to get a few lessons locally and maybe even rent one.:bassist:

17. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Actually, he asked, "Would one of these be decent for a beginner?" So, it's reasonable to give alternatives. In any case, since when do we restrict our answers narrowly to the question asked? We have a tradition of not doing that. :)

Imagine the next time someone asks whether the Fung-Dog-Doo CCB is a good buy. I don't think we would or should say "no" and just leave it at that.

As for the OP here, I agree with the advice that you should broaden your options. Shens, properly set up, are fine deals.

18. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    :hyper: We saved one.:hyper:

19. See what I get for trying something new? ;)