1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would someone like to explain this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BurnOut, Apr 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    FB_IMG_1492667443468.

Spectrum, ICM, Tbone76 and 7 others like this.
  2. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
  3. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    So they doing the Clubs too? Might be in for something like that.

pudge likes this.
  4. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    The green one looks sweet.

5. Cropduster

Cropduster

Jan 22, 2017
    Brisbane
    An outstanding effort at displaying poor taste?

6. ispunk

ispunk Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Taste the Hofner rainbow

craigie, PWRL, Fishheadjoe and 24 others like this.
  7. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
    Well that's... Interesting? o_O

Honestly that's not entirely sarcastic. I must admit I've never been much of a fan of the classic Hofner shape in general, but seeing the old-fashioned styling mixed up with those colours is... Well, it's interesting.

I bet the red and the black could even look pretty classy isolated from the rainbow group shot.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Banned Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I bet sales will go through the roof, and the get off my lawn crowd will have yet another reason to yell "Get off my lawn!".
    :thumbsup:

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Mikhail1, mpdd, COLDGLU and 3 others like this.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    50 years from now I bet those things will be worth something :).

One has to wonder why they'd do such a thing on their higher priced models, and not on the icon. At a few hundred bucks I could imagine them selling a handful. At $3000, not so sure.

MattZilla, RyanJD, BurnOut and 4 others like this.
  11. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
    Oh wow. I didn't follow the link and just assumed Hofner were experimenting with some cheap n' cheerful basic models.

I'm really curious as to what the expected target market for a $3000 Hofner finished in a bright primary colour is?

Flabass, Dominic DeCosa and BurnOut like this.
  12. Boristhespyder

Boristhespyder Supporting Member

I see the pink one for an all girl metal band: The Barbie Dolls of Death?

Malak the Mad and BurnOut like this.
  13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I really don't hate them.

CooWoo and BurnOut like this.
  14. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue

Oct 9, 2016
    Hey, guess which one I like.

--^@

BurnOut, flojob, Oddly and 1 other person like this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    ... not in a million... make that 100 million... years.

Sixgunn and BurnOut like this.
  16. RED J

RED J Lol Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2000
    Yes. I wanted to jump up a notch to a CT, but black and burst just didn't tempt me.

BurnOut likes this.
  17. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Heck, they might even graduate high school, become women, and start playing Heavy Metal :smug:

18. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Not necessarily opposed to odd colors, but for the $$ I'd be more tempted to something like this:

[​IMG]

jnsnj, jazznrick, COLDGLU and 4 others like this.
  19. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    black or red :thumbsup:
    blue possibly
    yellow maybe
    green or pink :rollno:

IMHO

CooWoo, digmeout and Crater like this.
  20. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Disclaimer: I love my Hofner CT to bits. It's all I play. In my view, Hofner got a lot right with their basses: I find them among the most playable and righteous sounding basses I've ever experienced, a critical combination. But that doesn't mean there's nothing to improve upon!

So I'm all for updating the Hofner violin bass, but starting with color is silly. How about an adjustable bridge? Or a useful control panel? (I've rewired mine, and I have a wide palette of tones available now.) Or how about moving the bridge pickup an inch or so north? (I moved mine about a 1/2 inch, as far as I could without exposing any holes, and it's fatter sounding and more useful.)

According to Hofner, the new colors are “intended to appeal to a new generation of bass players who appreciate the qualities of the Höfner bass but would like it in anything except sunburst.” But several aspects of the design are totally stuck in the 50s/60s (and not in a good way) and could use an update--I would think that would appeal even more to a new generation of players.

It bugs me when a manufacturer creates something that (justifiably) becomes iconic and decades later refuses to make any changes. Hofner headed in the right direction with the 'Contemporary' models...but just shipping them with roundwounds doesn't quite earn the label. How about a 'Classic' built to 60s specs, and a 'Contemporary' with the changes I suggested above? And yes, colors, too!

It's as if Ford were still making Model Ts for auto enthusiasts who say "Henry got it right the first time." And then to modernize it, Ford offers Model Ts in a rainbow of colors, but it's still a crank-start car. (So yes, part of the blame lies with the consumer. Also, Hofner is not the only company who tends to look back more often than forward.)

All that to say: It's annoying when nostalgia prevents a good product from becoming great.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017