1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would the Mesa Walkabout Scout 15 combo work well for jazz guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nosajwp, May 13, 2011.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Haven't tried one yet, but I like what I've seen regarding use with a bass guitar. I'm asking if anyone out there has tried the Scout 15 combo with jazz guitar, and how did it turn out (especially with the tweeter turned down)? If no one has tried it, can anyone that owns this amp take a guess at how well it might work?

2. Not for "JAZZ" guitar, but I did use the Mesa WA scout 12" with tweeter off for guitar-a Tele- & it souded great!! I was playing country rock style. I also used just the WA head with a Marshall 4x12 quad- sounded GREAT too

3. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I imagine it would give you a big fat clean sound...is this the case? Were you able to get any drive out of it?

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    It'll prolly sound great-but no reason to opt for the 15 rather than the 12.

5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I also haven't used my Scout 12 for "Jazz" guitar, but have used it for ambient music and a little indie rock guitar using both a G&L ASAT (telecaster-ish) and a Danelectro Baritone. It is nice, clear, and fat, though as you push the gain it tends to thicken up and get pretty muddy (pushes the low-mids pretty heavily) compared to how most guitar amps react when the gain is pushed- fortunately the EQ is versatile enough to clean it up if you need. I would likely just use an overdrive or boost rather than pushing the gain on the amp too much personally.

I would also expect the Scout 12 to be better than the 15 for jazz guitar, and probably plenty loud as well if we are talking about the same jazz!