1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

would these work together

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BDL1991, Mar 30, 2009.

1. hey, i was informed yesterday, that my planned choice of pick ups and pre-amp wouldn't work together due to the pick ups being seymourduncans and the preamp, bartolini, does this hold true, as i was told by a guitar teacher, who also runs the local music store, my choices would be

Seymour duncan Hotstack for jazz for the bridge P/up
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/cutting-edge-1/stkj2_hot_for_j/

Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound For P-Bass for the neck P/up
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/progressive-1/spb3_quarterpou/

and

Bartolini HR-3.4 Preamp Harness
    http://www.catalinaguitars.com/catalog2/product_info.php?cPath=133_136&products_id=886

they'd be installed in a Stagg BC300 Gothic Black Bass, which is a passive bass with a Volume/Volume/Tone knob setup
    http://www.staggmusic.com/products/products_detail.php?langue=uk&oneid=581

i have been told that it isn't worth doing this to the stagg seeing as i have a BC Rich 5string Zombie Exotic Classic bass on the way to replace it in it's tuning (drop-C im a fan of mid range for growlyness), but the main reason im gettin another bass is so i have the freedom to make the changes and hopefully upgrade the Stagg, as i plan to keep it throughout it's playing life until i am actually forced to retire it, even though im only 18, i prefer to keep things that i can still use rather than give it away for something shinier, sure i have the occasional bout of G.A.S but, i won't sell any of my stuff at the moment and i need to learn to drive still but yea, would these items work together, i had searched an not found up anything i've been looking for, if someone knows of a similar thread please feel free to link me to it.
    thanks in advance
    BDL

2. to quote the chilli's
    "Hump de bump doop bodu
    Bump de hump doop bop
    Hump de bump doop bodu

Oh no!

Bump de hump doop bodu
    Hump de bump doop bop
    Bump de hump doop bodu

Bump bump"

i shall find another amusing way of saying bump when i get to college in a few hours
    oh and may i state...4am is an ok time to be awake...but not when you face a 12 hour day in 4 hours :)

3. scarekrow

scarekrow

Jan 27, 2007
    Yea, it would work as long as the Stagg p'ups are a standard size as the Duncans are. I'm not familiar with a Stagg, but they probably will fit just fine. As you seem to really like the bass & wanna keep it, it may not matter that the upgrade will probably cost more than the bass did... I think that upgrade would rock. I personally like both active & passive basses - you might consider having a switch to bypass the Bartolini just for those passive times when you wanna crank the distortion box and not have your amp crap out.

4. adding a bypass switch does seem a rather good suggestion, and would enable me to put on a nice raw bass tone for when my band decides we need to be heavy and as the saying goes "put a donk on it", and the upgrade I have planned will cost £368-£416 so say £200-£300 more than the bass is worth brand new,

5. here is another question i'll put forward, is a bypass switch the same thing as passive/active switch? and if so, I'm thinking of changing my pick of Preamps, due to bartolini, giving a passive/active switch as an option on some preamps, 1 of which is similar to the one i was looking at except with volume/blend/tone/tone, which would require adding a new hole in the body but if it'll give the bass a more versitile sound that it could be a fair plan