Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would this bass even play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobOtto, Jan 16, 2003.

1. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
  2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    yes that is a funky looking bass.. I wou ld definatly pay it if th e top horn was not so fake looking. Ithink they are pretty cool.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yes, it would. I forget the maker of those guitars and basses, but he's well known.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fhodshon is all over those things. Search for "Michael Spalt" and his posts should pop right up...er...I THINK it's Mike...anyway, I hear those things are stoopid easy to play, if a little different looking.

And that "fake" upper horn is solid metal. I don't think it's going anywhere. I'd look into it if I were blind.

5. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    If you don't play with a floating thumb style then where do you rest your thumb?

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, anywere you want...... looks like two pickups.... a neck.....that little cut in the body......:confused:

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It'd fit right in on that C & W gig.

8. Riscchip

Riscchip

Jan 11, 2003
  9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If someone gave you crap about turning down you could run them through!

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    look at the birdseye on that.. YUMMY!!!!

DM

11. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Those Spalt basses aren't too bad. I think they need to work on improving them a bit but it's a good start.

As was mentioned, that top horn seems to be missing something. Wood, perhaps? As for thumb position, I played one and found it easier to float the thumb than to try to figure out where to plant it. That piece of wood closest to you was a bit far for me to want to use as a thumb rest. It was okay on a four but I could see having problems on a 5 or 6 (though I don't think they make 6's yet).

12. I played one at Bass Northwest. Nice bass :)

13. They remind me of a propeller on a boat with a neck attached to it.

Looks pretty light though.