1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would this Bass MAke A Good Modification Project?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassSurfer, Aug 12, 2007.

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Fender-...ryZ64401QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its A Squier Made Bass from the 80's but does anything think i should go for it? see how it sounds if it does not sound as a great p- shouldI modify it and really bring it back to life?

Or is it in too bad of a condition to play in.. the guy who is selling it says he brought it to a Fender expert and he confirmed what it is and the years... but anyone could be saying that for an easy sale...

So all input would be greatly admired.. as i want a p- bass so bad and this one might be it..

2. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
    i think that looks like a really cool bass, and i wouldnt modify it at all except scrape of the tape initials on the back and clean it up a bit.

but i'm no fender expert.

3. You are going to have to pay at least $224.00 for it. I think you can do better.

4. what are you talking about???:confused: :eyebrow:

I was asking if this would be a good mod project... or even a good bass that statement made no sense and did not answer the question at all..

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The Japan Squiers are usually very good players. This bass, acording to the neck plate seems to be a Squier of that vintage. Everything else looks about right for that era Squier as well.

Honestly, $200 seems a little bit high for one in that condition, but then again one in relatively good condition would cost 50-100% more than that.

Could make for an interesting project, just so long as you aren't worried about resale value. Might make a decent player for not a ton of money. Just keep in mind that if you go and refinish it, and put a propper pickguard on it etc. , you won't be making your money back if you decide to sell it.

The p/u's and hardware on the 80's Squiers are very good as well. You probably wouldn't want to change any of that stuff.

6. Thanks for the info... im not looking for a re-sale just looking for a nice p- bass tone thanks for the detailed response!

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Check your private messages. :bassist:

8. Thanks again savit!

9. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    theres a slight scratch on the upper horn in case you haven't noticed

10. ^ i know of all the blemish's/damage. TY