Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

would this be a bad move?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryan morris, Dec 14, 2001.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ok, I have a Warwick Thumb n/t 5 and pretty much plan on keeping it for a very long time. The thing I plan on doing is buying some Dunlop straplocks and setting them into the bass(read: drilling holes and setting them inside (pre-factory)), but the bottem one putting up a whole lot higher to evern the bass out. Would this nec. be a bad move? I am know I could do a very good job on it and if I ever chose to sell, it shouldn't be a major deal because it's improving the bass so much. Anways, Later

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That would seem to cure the neck-dive problems for which the Thumbs are infamous. But keep both sets of buttons in place; secondhand purchasers will be put off by an unfilled hole.

And be careful with the drill; that's a solid piece of wood. Put a crack in it, and it will travel.

3. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I plan on putting the bass in a clamp on the wood bench, obviously putting something soft on there as to not damage the wood then mark the spot, drill with a small bit, 1/8", then med. 1/4", then large med. 1/2" that should be about it, but i'll have to make final measurements and all of that. This should go pretty smooooothe.

4. I had this done on an old Corvette Standard 6 mainly because the flush straplocks were terrible and failed with infuriating regularity. I also chose to locate the bottom strap button higher on the bass (to improve balance). While the integrity of the straplocks improved (I installed Schallers), the neck dive was only marginally impacted. It seems that the problem with the Warwicks is the wenge neck - it's very solid and sounds great, but it's a very heavy wood that is not balance-friendly.

I had a luthier drill the hole for me - I just didn't trust myself enough to drill into my bass!

I had the top button installed in a very awkward position which did bother the buyer of the bass, so be careful about where you locate the top button.

5. moweezil

moweezil

Dec 2, 2001
    I'll go ahead and beat someone to it... Go for the Schaller straplocks instead of the Dunlops. People always say how they have heard horror stories about Dunlop straplocks.

Just thought I'd tell you.

6. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have had Dunlops on my '92 Stage I and never had a problem with them as much as i bounced, but maybe I was just lucky. Anyways, I already ordered the Dunlop's. Thanks, Ryan

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Rob at Warwick will do that for you. Also, if you wanted to, you could install lighter tune heads, you'd be amazed at the difference.

8. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Warwicknut, that's a great idea. I might even have him drill out the original strap button hole and put in a ovangkol or bubinga plug or something. I just wrote you an e-mail. Thanks for that though. Later, Ryan

9. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Let me answer my own question now. YES IT WOULD BE A BAD MOVE. NEVER ATTEMPT TO DO WORK ON YOUR OWN BASS. IT'S A HORRIBLE MOVE AND SHOULD ONLY BE TAKEN TO THE PROFESSIONALS. Man, I must have been stupid for thinking I could do it on my own. If you want the long story of what happened pm me, but let me tell you how it kind of went down. I called Warwick, they told me it would be cost innefective to send it to them when they had people in the St.Louis area that could do it. I ended up not going to the people in the area and decided i'd do it myself. I screwed up a bit and it took me about 20 hours of working on it to get it looking decent. So, NEVER do any drilling unless you plan on making the commitment( kinda like with a girl). But, it did help out and when I finally find my Ultra-Lites balance should be more than perfect. Later, Ryan