Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

would this be a copyright or trademark or whatever violation?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KSDbass, Jan 2, 2006.

1. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    ok, im starting a bass making company called K&G basses, and I was wondering if the name is illegal because of K&G jewelers? thanks

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    not anything close to an expert, but i would think you're in the clearing.

it's like the apple computers vs. apple records case. so long as you don't plan on manufacturing jewelry, you're probably safe. ;)

3. I think so, too.

Your own company? Awesome! Now you have to build me a custom for my legal advice...

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Probably not. Trademarks are "appurtenant" only to the business(es) that use them and infringement typically occurs when there's a likelihood of confusion between your mark and theirs.

If you're a bass maker and they're a jeweler, I doubt that people are going to be confused.

5. I really don't think so either,

I once worked for a company called K&S auto parts, There was also a salvage yard in business called K&S who sells used auto parts. Other than getting the occasional wrong phone number there was no problem. For two separate businesses you really can't get any closer than that.

Like mentioned above you have to totally separate businesses, plus I don't think you can own things like just the "K&S" in K&S auto parts. In the example above one was called K&S Auto Parts the other was K&S Auto Salvage.

The closest comparison I've can make was something I seen on the food channel. It was a story about a pizza joint in New York. I can't remember the name but it was something like Anthony's Pizza. Well, apparently there were tons of "Anthony's Pizza" places around NY. There was this big thing on who the original Anthony's was, longer story short,....the one believed to be the original had to go to court to have everyone else change their name and it cost him big money to do so.

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Dude, I had that idea first...and you know it.

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    and he'd also have to register as a commercial user. ;)

Dave, that's horrible. I will never buy another monster cable. The thing about the Chicago bears is outragous.

8. mmg

mmg

Nov 7, 2005
    Boston, MA
    wow i had no idea Monster Cables was doing this, that is way way way outta line in my opinion. after seeing how "sue crazy" monster has gotten the PRS vs Gibson lawsuits seem like nothing.

9. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Ok, so who else makes cables anywhere near the quality of Monster? I'll buy from anyone else...

10. Check out Procablesnsound.com. Very good quality cables, can be made to your specs, and very quick with excellant customer service. One of my cables from them got stepped on while it was plugged in, bending it and making it useless. Emailed them up and they said just ship the cable, include money for the return shipping and they fixed it free of charge. Great company to deal with. I think that they are of higher quality than Monster and they are cheaper. Give them a look.

Dave

11. Well, if you run into any trouble or if you're too wary of the consiquences, just change it to G&K:D

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

:D

no problems there at all! :p

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had a Spectraflex cable that I used religiously for 10 years until it starting to crap out.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Normally, I'd bash Monster. But since it was the Bores and all, who cares? ;)