1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would this be a good eq?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by twisty4678, Mar 12, 2009.

1. My aunt is the manager of my local radioshack, and while perusing her store i saw this. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104027&tab=summary
    It has a pretty good price for an eq, and quarter inch inputs. I just wonder how it would sound on bass? Here are the frequencies: . 25/40/63/100/ 160/250/400/630/1K/1.6K/2.5K/4K/6.3K/10K/16K Hz
    I'm more of a fiddler so i don't know the specific frequencies i should be concerned with on bass... Any thoughts?

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Well, for $75 it's not going to be the best equalizer in the world, but...what the hey? It WILL work, boosting and cutting frequencies. I gave a quick look to the owner's manual and user's guide; nowhere does it spec the bandwidth (or "Q" factor) for each of the controls, so I'm guessing they are rather wide. This is definitely not going to do a primo job of pinpoint frequency control to tune your rig to the acoustics of a room, and it may well be fairly noisy - introducing extra crap into your signal. But it probably won't be terrible, and it might be a somewhat useful product. Heck, it's cheap - give it a try!

3. the input and output impedance could be an issue.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    right, and they don't say on that site.

if you run an active bass or at least one buffered pedal in front of it you might be ok, but considering actual pro audio EQs from art or even behringer are not much more, why bother with the mystery brand?

5. two words: 30% discount. heh. I have an active preamp but non active pickups (emg hz).

6. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    'pro' and 'ART' and 'Begringer' in the same sentence?

7. Thanks john, but i only want to know if this one will be good as i can get it for so cheap (around 50 with her discount).

8. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    for $50, why not? you can return it, right?

john

9. I could return it, but if someone on here can tell me it's not worth it i'd rather not waste the time. I dunno, just something i would rather research first.

10. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I tried a few different cheap eq's, and they were noisy, and or the range was not good for the bass, so i eventually just bought the mxr 10 band eq, and it worked wonders, sometimes it is better just to get what is a proven product, if the mxr 10 band eq is too much, why not try the boss bass eq pedal, or the cheap berringher one.

11. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Suspect that you could do much better with a purpose built unit.
    Also believe that RS has built contracted out for good equipement many years ago but have no reason to believe that their current equipment is particularly good.
    Suggest you find a used EQ from a major manufacturer for the same $$
    (Peavey, Carvin, dbx, Rane, Ashley, Biamp, Mackie, etc.)